Mana's Beautiful World is Forever

Mana's Beautiful World is Forever

Monday, July 15, 2019

Enoshima Inner Shrine Okutsunomiya

One of the paths from the Samuel Cocking Garden is Oiwaya-michi. It is an old pilgrimage path that leads to the west side of Enoshima.

It's a lovely lane to walk down, surrounded by traditional styled Japanese buildings and a view of the Sea Candle.

On the way I passed Enoshima Daishi Buddhist Temple with it's vibrant colored Nio.


The shells of turban mollusks. 


Along the way I reached Yama Futatsu Valley, the dividing space between the two parts of Enoshima. The view is very pretty, although difficult to photograph from this spot.

The headlands of Yama Futatsu, a look-out point.


So many interesting shops along the way. I wish I had bought a box of these.

Even Enoshima has artistic storm drain covers. In Japan, it's popular to have symbols or images related to the area.


Moving on I reached the chozuya for the shrines here. 

Turtles again. Turtles are seen in several places here, including the roofs of shrines. In Japan, turtles are thought of having long lives, bringing good luck and support. As this one is doing here.

Again with the pyramid of three triangles, the Hojo family crest.

Besides turtles, cats.

Just past here there is a torii, that is said to date from 1185, given by Minamoto no Yoritomo, first shogun of Kamakura shogunate. No matter what the date, there is plenty on Enoshima that made me feel I had gone back in time.
I finally reached the furthest of the Munakata shrines, Outsunomiya. This shrine is dedicated to Tagarihime no mikoto, the third of the Munakata kami of the sea. It is said to have been built around 1841.

I don't know if this komainu looks fierce or happy.


While like the other shrines this is dedicated to the Munakata kami, with the honden directly behind it, there again are images of Benzaiten and Gozuryu. 

And cats.

Except they were not done with Gozuryu. Because next to Outsunomiya is Wadatsumi-no-miya, built in 1994.

The five headed dragon of Enoshima has his own shrine. The story about him is he use to be very destructive. Benzaiten heard the pleas of the people in the area and came down from the heavens. She caused the island of Enoshima to rise from the sea and chose to live there. Gozuryu fell in love with Benzaiten and wanted her to be his consort. Instead she convinced him to understand he was the cause of much hardship to the people there. The dragon understood the errors of his actions and pledged to do no more. He laid down facing Benzaiten's home, becoming a hill.


Walking a little further from these shrines, I found more shops. And the sea.

So many little alleys and walkways to explore. I am tempted to return to see what I missed.

I was really thirsty since it was a hot day and it was a lot of walking. I found Fujimi Dining Room still open for drinks even though they had closed for dining. Places on Enoshima do not stay open late.

   I took the chance to sit down on their outdoors balcony which overlooks Chigogafuchi. These rock outcroppings have tide pools and are a popular place to take in views of the ocean. There are sad stories about the area though. Long ago, two young women who were servants of the temples committed suicide there. Also down there are the Iwaya Caves which house more shrines. They were closed during my visit.

So instead I enjoyed the clear view of Sagami Bay and Oshima Island, barely visible on the horizon.

And drank a lot of water along with this very cold glass of Kirin beer. I feel like I was photographing an advertisement for them. Or a nice reminder of how my day ended.

Along with a view of the not easy to see but it's there Mount Fuji. If you look carefully you can see the outline of the mountain in the center of my photo. If you can't see it, my next post will help.

No comments:

Post a Comment