Mana's Beautiful World is Forever

Mana's Beautiful World is Forever

Wednesday, July 31, 2019

Charming Meiji Jingu

I made it out of the madness that is Harajuku and over to Jingu Bashi (Shrine Bridge). I remember when this use to be the place for people to spend their day, dressing as their favorite visual kei musician or in lolita. Ten years later and it is no longer happening. I think the internet with social media changed all that.

  My other stop for the day had me walking to Meiji Jingu Ichi no Torii (First Gate of Meiji Shrine) and into the cooling forested area there.

I remember walking this way back in March 2011.

There were a lot more people here in July 2019.

However I was really enjoying the trees. They are gorgeous.

The wall of consecrated sake kazaridaru (decorated barrels) is still here.

 Along with the Bourgogne wine barrels.

 I reached Meiji Jingu Dai ni Torii (Second Gate of Meiji Shrine). Do I need to say how immense these torii are?

 Still walking I passed by Meiji Shrine Sanshuden. It was established early 1900's and rebuilt after WWII.

I reached the chōzuya (purification pavilion). After waiting for some people to stop taking selfies and other not so appropriate things, I went ahead and did temizu (water purification) as best as I could. I am trying to do this more often before entering shrines.

The Naien (inner area) of Meiji Jingu.

Even with a lot more tourists than there were in March 2011, the courtyard still feels so large.



I didn't spend too much time here since I did that back in 2011. I wanted to get a certain omamori (charm), and there were a lot more tourists here than in March 2011.



So back into that lovely green forest I went.

There are trees from all over Japan planted here. Sometimes they look like natural torii.

It was a hot gloomy day. But being able to walk this back road through the trees was a really nice feeling.

Like I wasn't in Tokyo at all.

No comments:

Post a Comment