Mana's Beautiful World is Forever

Mana's Beautiful World is Forever

Monday, January 27, 2020

Yokohama Part I

A day with no rain meant getting out to an interesting place. This time it was Yokohama. I took a train to the Nihon-Odori Station. No transfers from Ikebukuro Station. That was good.

Because there were illuminations to see and royal architecture. 

 I'd like to go back and spend more time in Yokohama. Because there is a lot of interesting architecture there. First up was the Yokohama Kaigen Church. Founded in 1872, it was the first Protestant church in Japan. The current building was built after the 1923 Great Earthquake.

 This nice Empire style building was the British Consulate. Now it is part of 横浜開港資料館, Yokohama Archives of History. Which is open to the public.

I took a photo of this building not because of historical reasons but because it and many other buildings reminded me of Portland, Oregon. This was 横浜貿易協会, Yokohama Trade Association building. 

I made it out to Yokohama Harbor and with the clear blue sky it was a gorgeous sight. Along with the various buildings along the skyline. Like the Queen Tower 横浜税関本関庁舎, Yokohama Customs Building. Built in 1934, it's Romanesque Revival architecture features a copper dome.

Clear views of the buildings included the 横浜赤レンガ倉庫, Yokohama Red Brick Warehouse. Warehouse building 1 was built in 1913, and the buildings there still exist because they implanted iron in between the bricks.

Towers and more towers. Plus the famous Cosmos Clock 21 Ferris Wheel. Something I noticed which adds to the attractiveness of the area is the open spaces and greenery along the waterfront.

 Another view of the Queen Tower from the Osanbashi Pier.


As for me, my plan was to talk a walk along the Osanbashi Pier. It's really interesting because you are actually walking on the roof of a large building. Which appeared to be shaped like a ship. 

The building is Osanbashi Hall. It the location of the Yokohama International Passenger Terminal. I'll have a bit more from inside it in my next blog post. 

Meanwhile, I was enjoying the views.  

Like the moon over 横浜ベイブリッジ, the Yokohama Bay Bridge. 

And the view back to the skyline. 

Yes, I did see all three. King, Queen and Jack Towers. 

That little dome in the distance is the top of the clock tower of 横浜市開港記念会館, Yokohama Port Opening Memorial Hall. Also known as the Jack Tower. I'd like to get a better look at it one day. The building is a lovely Neo-renaissance style, opened in 1917.

No comments:

Post a Comment