Mana's Beautiful World is Forever

Mana's Beautiful World is Forever

Tuesday, January 28, 2020

Ode to Joy in Yokohama, Part II

Imagine going to a place and being surprised by a choir and orchestral concert. Pardon the shaky video but this is what was happening inside Osanbashi Hall the day I visited. This is the baritone solo part of Beethoven's Symphony No. 9 in D minor finale.

Or in less words, "Ode to Joy". Which is a New Year's tradition in Japan. The orchestra was the Yokohama Bay Philharmonic conducted by 松本 宗利音, Matsumoto Shurihito. I do not know the name of the baritone soloist.

I could hear the rest of "Ode to Joy" while looking at various things in Osanbashi Hall. Like these ema for the King, Jack and Queen Towers. Supposedly if you wish for something while looking at the three buildings, your wish will be granted. I'm guessing the idea for the ema here came from that. 

There's also a Japanese garden in the Hall. Well, a facsimile of part of one.

It was time for lunch and I noticed this very light space in the dark hall. 

 The restaurant is cafe&dining blue terminal.

I was seated at a rather high bar in the middle of the restaurant. Which felt a little ackward, to be honest. If a restaurant isn't full, why do they do this to solo diners?

 The place did have nice views.

I went with their lunch set. Coffee, 

salad, 

 and chicken curry. I was cold so warm was needed. And this was spicy hot. It was a nice Japanese style curry.

Back outside after eating my late lunch, I walked back to shore. That is the King, 神奈川県庁,  Kanagawa Prefectural Office. The Art Deco style building was built in 1928.


A final look back at Osanbashi Pier and everything that is there. 


No comments:

Post a Comment