Mana's Beautiful World is Forever

Mana's Beautiful World is Forever

Thursday, June 13, 2019

Sunosaki Shrine in Kiba

So on that day, I went from one side of Tokyo prefecture to the other side. 

To a place called Kiba. Another one of those not a tourist places. Which is fine with me. I enjoy seeing things like this lovely florist shop.

Seeing the waterways of Japan that wind through neighborhoods.

And coming across the local shrines and temples. This one is Sunosaki Shrine.

The chozuya.

Red torii means these are Shinto shrines. The banners add a bit of festivity.

Red torii also means it is likely there is an Inari shrine here. Yes, along with cute kitsune.

Although this one looks like it is growling.

There are komainu here. It's been noted that the crouching position of these komainu is a little unusual.

The main shrine. I could not find much on the history of Sunosaki Shrine, but apparently it was once located on the coast, or this was the coast of the area. There is a connection with fishing and the ocean. It seems to have been around for a long time.

Unusual for it to be open like this, and please pardon my taking a photo of it. But I know people wonder about what is inside shrines besides the kami who is enshrined there. Various sacred objects, often a statue, and offerings. This one appears to have many bottles of sake. As to the kami enshrined in Sunosaki shrine, from what I could find online, it is the goddess Ichishimahime. A protector of sea passages and the ocean, she is sometimes worshiped as Benzaiten. 

One last ume (plum) blossom photo. My next post will be about why I traveled to Kiba that day.

No comments:

Post a Comment