Mana's Beautiful World is Forever

Mana's Beautiful World is Forever

Monday, April 6, 2020

And So It Began

I've been trying to figure out how to write this. I suppose, that it is that I planned a trip to Japan and then a virus happened. Not to me at that time, but to many people. And it is now affecting everyone.

Back in January when I was making my reservations so I could attend the Moi dix Mois Liturgy Festival for Mana-sama Birthday, it didn't enter my thoughts that things could change quickly. I booked my flights and hotel. I had my concert tickets. In February I began monitoring the situation with the virus in Japan and in the US. I also began studying how to protect oneself. At that time the virus was mostly in China and South Korea. I decided that at the beginning of March I would self isolate until my trip. I was concerned about how there were people in my area who were claiming the virus outbreak was nothing and not taking precautions, so I decided it would be safer not to be among them. I had also planned on staying at home for two weeks once I returned from my trip.

Japan had shut down schools and limited large group event attendance at the end of February. I realized there was a possibility that the concerts would be postponed. Four days before my flights that happened. I was sad about it, but it was understandable. It's about saving lives. That is important.

I tried contacting the airlines and the booking company to see if I could get refunded for my trip. Unfortunately I wasn't the only person trying to do this. I was able to contact Alaska Air by their online app, only to be told they would not help or refund my money. I was left on hold for a very long time by Japan Airlines and never got through to a real person. They also did not respond to their online form that I submitted. It was a two day hold time when I called Priceline. Using their automated system, I requested a call back. That finally happened days later at 1:40 am the night before my trip. Of course I was not awake. And of course I will never use them again. It was my first time and last time.

I weighed my options. I won't go into the many things that I thought about or reasoning, except that it was clear that Japan was doing better with handling the virus outbreak than the US was. After being in seclusion for over two weeks and knowing it could go on for a very long time, I decided to go. I knew it might be a long time before I could travel, well anyone could. I knew the airlines were doing their best to make their planes safe.

Besides my usual packing, I added masks, disinfectant hand wipes and cleaning wipes (not shown) and a bottle of hand sanitizer. The FAA was allowing this now. Just an aside, my Moomin bag is from Le Sportsac. I bought it as a souvenir in Hawaii last year. I went to the le Sportsac store in Honolulu because it's where I ordered my first Tokidoki bags way back when. The owner was really nice and recognized my Tokidoki purse. That was a nice moment. 

Because it is usually a good and cheap way to get to Portland International Airport, I took public transit. The train ride through Portland was a little surreal because very few people were out on the streets and on the train. Things were beginning to shut down in Oregon, but there was no stay at home order at that time.

There were a lot less people at the airport, but it was not empty. People were not social distancing and not taking advantage of the liquid disinfectant dispensers that were places throughout the airport. It was a little concerning.

Almost all of the restaurants were closed. The day before in Oregon restaurants were ordered to close their sitting dining areas. However some places were still doing take out. Kenny & Zukes were open making sandwiches and had pre-made ones also. Their tuna salad sandwich wasn't bad.

Strangely, some of the Alaska Air employees handling embarkation seemed annoyed that there weren't as many passengers. With only between twenty to thirty passengers a flight, there was room for social distancing. Part of the announcements were about what was being done to protect passengers such as the air filtration system.

Next stop was Seattle Tacoma International Airport. Getting to my gate was not difficult. There were only a couple of people on the train between terminals, including the pilots for my flight. The scene at the departure gate was different than that at PDX. People were not in groups or socializing like they were in Portland. And almost everyone was wearing a mask. I put one on also.

Just to note, the carpet at SeaTac is brown.

Even more space on the Japan Airlines plane. I had a center section seat. There was no one in my row.

When I was given rice crackers and green tea I noticed that the fold down table was damp with disinfectant.

Dinner was served and while it doesn't look fancy, this was the best meal I have eaten on a plane. I have to say that even with all the changes, the service by JAL attendants was amazingly great.

I wonder why more airlines don't have their pillows shaped like this? No need to bring a neck cushion. I did sleep a bit, thanks to having room to lay down. But the disinfectant bothered my sinuses and my hands. I finally put gloves on and that helped.

This moment on the flight map reminded me of what happened back in March, 2011. The flight I was on back on March 11th, 2011, was a little closer to Hokkaido when the Great Tohoku Earthquake happened. While many things were not similar to that day, the feeling that things could change quickly was. At least at time of my flight this year, there wasn't massive damage or loss of life in Japan.

Breakfast wasn't as good as the dinner, but the chicken broth was. Along with blueberries in the yogurt.

A little coffee before landing. Time to wake up a little.

JAL was very generous with the snacks. I was taken by the little sea creature shapes of these puffed potato snacks.

And into Narita International Airport. Nothing different there except there being no lines through immigration and customs. Japan does have a type of temperature scanning that checks everyone entering the rooms. This is something they always have, not just for now. So that was not new or done individually.

I made it to the lower levels and bought a round trip NEX' train ticket. Boarded and after a time arrived in Ikebukuro. Checked into my hotel and since it was evening, bought a few things at the 7-Eleven and returned to my room. Everything in Ikebukuro seemed the same, except for more people wearing masks and less non-Japanese tourists. Life was going on as it had been in Tokyo.

No comments:

Post a Comment