Mana's Beautiful World is Forever

Mana's Beautiful World is Forever

Wednesday, April 29, 2020

Mitakesan Kofun and Todoroki Fudōson

March 24th was not an easy day. The state of Oregon issued it's "Stay at Home" rule, closing many businesses because of the virus. And my flight back to Oregon was cancelled. I received an email from the booking site saying it was cancelled and that they won't do anything more, the web page with my original booking will be deleted. Thankfully right after this there was a second email saying I was now booked on a JAL flight that same day. I didn't mind that it was out of Hanada International Airport, but there was nothing stating what terminal it would be flying from. Along with my losing the money I paid for a round trip NEX' ticket. But at least I didn't have to try to find another flight or deal with trying to get a refund.

I had already planned to return to a place I enjoyed on my last trip. It was a good day to go for a walk. So I made my way back to Todoroki. This time I walked along Meguro Dori where they had signs with kingfisher and other birds and also fish swimming in water. Very creative.

I was walking this way because I wanted to see 御岳山古墳, Mitakesan Kofun.  

A kofun is a burial mound or tumulus. The Mitakesan Kofun is part of the Noge mounds along the Todoroki Valley. These were created around the fifth century. I mentioned the ones by the valley gorge in my prior post about the area.

The shape of the Mitakesan Kofun is like a scallop shell. The kofun is dotted with various markers for worship. This kofun is only open to the public once a year.

The Mitakesan Kofun has had excavations there occasionally. In 1917 a mirror was found. Various other objects such as iron weapons were discovered in 1950 when they excavated at the rear of the mound. 

It wasn't just the kofun that I wanted to see. The other place I wanted to visit was across the street. Where there was sakura blooming. 



I can not resist sakura. 

As to the place, it is 等々力不動尊, Todoroki Fudōson Temple. 

The front gate or mon is right off of Meguro Dori.

Todoroki Fudoson Temple was founded in the late Heian period, around 1100.

Although the buildings here now are not that old. Often parts of Buddhist temples are rebuilt, like this gate. 

The official name for the temple is Ryugozan Myoo-in (The Hall of the Wisdom King on the Mountain of Resounding Waterfall). The waterfall is Fudo-no-Taki, which flows into the gorge. And it is Fudo Myo-o, also known as Acala, the immovable wisdom king, that is enshrined at Todoroki Fudosan.

There is a chozubashi carved from stone near the front gate.

With an impressive dragon water spout. 

Besides the main shrine there are smaller ones on the grounds.  

There is a large jokoro for worshipers to burn incense. 

It is located in front of the Hondo, where worshipers pray. 

This Hondo has dragons at the end of the carved lintel beam. 

And at the top. There are also different types of temple bells for people to ring. 

Walking to the other side of the temple there is a different style of cleansing water pavilion. My next post will have more photos of what can be seen from over here. Because there is a lot to see in this place that is not like anywhere else in Tokyo.

No comments:

Post a Comment