Mana's Beautiful World is Forever

Mana's Beautiful World is Forever

Friday, April 10, 2020

A Few More Treats that First Full Day Back in Tokyo

My first full day in Tokyo in March, I really wanted to see some sakura. I took the Futokushin Line train from Harajuku to one place that I knew had sakura trees that would not be crowded. Zoshigaya.

My first stop was the Keyakimamiki Shopping Street. Sadly the stores were closed but I was able to pick out those very old Zelkova trees. 

They were still dormant but the bark of these approximately 600 year old trees was interesting to see. 

The closed stores means I need to plan for another visit in the future. Perhaps also look for a few manga related places also. And there is a little retro restaurant around here that I want to stop in at. When times are better.

I wasn't the only person curious about those trees from the 1500's.


A look at Kishimojin Temple as I walked to Owl Road, which is lined with sakura trees.

At Owl Road, that lovely pedestrian friendly walkway, the sakura trees were just beginning to bloom. But I had a few more days in Tokyo so I made a promise to come back before I left. 

Heading back to Zoshigaya Station, I noticed Shinjuku in the distance! The day was so nice I could see Cocoon Tower and the Tokyo Metropolitan Government Building. The construction barriers are for the Toden-Arakawa Tram Line. One day I want to ride this, especially if it is summer. Also called the Tokyo Sakura Tram, the streetcars are known for the roses that bloom along it and for their retro image.

I thought about having curry for dinner, but there was something I was craving. Something about these times made me want to go back to one of my favorite restaurants in Japan. That place that only plays Beatles music.

Of course my last stop for this first day back was at Manmaru. Ah, starting with the sake.

I really need to get a glass set like this. It's a luxurious feeling, the sake overflowing into the saucer below. Jumai gingo was happening.

For a salad, I went with the tomato. Absolutely the most delicious tomato I have ever eaten. I should have asked where it came from. There was definitely a "pushuuu" heard from me.

Followed that with an unagi don and I was feeling wonderful. This was a double "pushuuu" moment.

I did my best to treat myself this day, and yeah, that happened. What I didn't do was go to the Penguin Bar, but I did take a photo just to prove it does exist. Staying in this area of Ikebukuro, there are definitely interesting places.

No comments:

Post a Comment