Mana's Beautiful World is Forever

Mana's Beautiful World is Forever

Tuesday, April 14, 2020

Looking for Calm

March 22nd in Ikebukuro and things were changing rapidly in the world. Airlines were cancelling flights because of the virus and travel warnings from various governments. I found myself checking JAL's website and Twitter feed regularly because it was difficult to find information about my return flight. One good thing was I had a Moomin Bakery Hattinfattener chocolate eclair for breakfast. 

Outside it was a beautiful day.

Heading out there were still a number of people on the streets of Ikebukuro. 

 But it really was less people than normal. I walked through Ikebukuro's Chinatown towards Ikebukuro Train Station. Except I wasn't going to go through the crowded station. As for Chinatown, it is called this because of the number of Chinese restaurants around the station.

 My plan was to walk around the north side of the station. There are a couple tunnels under the tracks there. I went to the furthest north tunnel, which leads to overpasses over the rest of the train tracks.

Heading over the the east side of the station and tracks. This is a prime location for train fans. While it was a longer distance to the east side, there were less people. 

And there were also sakura trees. 

Which was my plan for the day. To enjoy their beauty. 

I continued walking through the residential area and arrived at a small playground with the most beautiful sakura tree. 

While there were some children playing there, the real draw for locals was this beautiful tree in full bloom. 



I continued to walk through this residential area and arrived at a neighborhood park, Kami Ikebukuro Sakura Park, 豊島区立上池袋さくら公園.

There were various landscaped sections, picnic spaces and areas for children to play. There were a number of people there, but I have to think it would have been more crowded if it wasn't for the virus outbreak.

Because there were many sakura trees in bloom. 

 In the middle of the long park was this statue of an adorable girl and her bird. I haven't been able to find information as to the name of it or the artist. It fit in really well with the atmosphere of this neighborhood park.

Meanwhile, I was enjoying the beautiful sakura. 

I read there are twenty five or more various sakura trees in this narrow park. 




 Along with other types of trees like this magnolia.


A number of people were enjoying hanami picnics under the trees, but they did seem to try to make space in between the groups. Most were wearing masks. The feeling I had that they were mostly families who lived in the neighborhoods. 


 It was nice to find these little uncrowded places to enjoy sakura viewing. It may have involved a long walk, but it was worth it.

No comments:

Post a Comment