Mana's Beautiful World is Forever

Mana's Beautiful World is Forever

Tuesday, August 7, 2018

Fashion and Sakura in Shibuya

So the reason I was over in this northern part of Shibuya? Because there was a museum I wanted to see. Something I recommend to every traveler is to come up with a couple places to visit that are indoors. In case of bad weather. Which was a good idea for this trip because weather was not great for a couple of days. However this was a lovely day, but still, I wanted to see this place. 

What I didn't expect were rows of beautiful sakura trees.

So distracting!

I forced myself to stop looking at the trees and instead look at this rather nice statue. I wrote down information about this western styled queen but can't find it now.

The molding of the fabric of her garments was impressive.

And so were these sakura trees.


Back to what this place is. It's the Bunka Fashion College.

This is the main location of this huge fashion vocational school. Founded in 1921, it now has over 70 branches and the main campus building here is 21 stories high.

Some of the top Japanese designers attended here, and many new designers graduate every year.

Besides the school, they also have a large collection of fashion from over the years. Which is why I was there, to see their costume museum. The exhibit was "European Mode" and featured clothing going back a couple centuries to more current styles.

A number of the gowns were pieces worn by Fubuji Koshiji, a famous actress and singer. Sadly they did not allow photographs in the exhibit but they did allow them of these replica designer dresses created by students.

I was able to take photos of these Irving Harper Marshmallow Sofas.

And the view outside. 

Which was so lovely I gave into it.

I found myself wandering away from the school, pulled by the lines of sakura trees ahead of me.

I do recommend the Bunka Gakuen Costume Museum if you are into fashion or costuming. Their website is here https://museum.bunka.ac.jp/english/

No comments:

Post a Comment