Mana's Beautiful World is Forever

Mana's Beautiful World is Forever

Thursday, May 14, 2020

Night Time Ikebukuro in March

After my long stroll through the sakura, I made it back to my hotel room where I enjoyed a treat.

A green tea parfait. On top was mochi, adzuki bean koshi-an, green tea and sakura whip. Along with a salt preserved sakura flower.

Underneath was sakura and green tea mousse and green tea jelly. 

I wasn't done for the day though. I wanted to try to shop a little. So I headed out. One thing I was trying to do is get photos of some of the Chinese shops and restaurants in Ikebukuro. Since these places are what makes up the local Chinatown in Ikebukuro.

Once again I was circling around the busier areas. This time I went south of Ikebukuro Station over to the east side. Going by streets with many restaurants and bars open, there were still a number of people out. Something that doesn't get mentioned about Tokyo is that a lot of people live in places with tiny or no kitchens. Eating out isn't just for pleasure, but for many it's needed. It's also why people go to markets and combini almost every day. It's difficult to store a lot of food for many people in Tokyo.

It was March 25th and Sunshine Dori still had a lot of people there. Even more over on Sunshine 60 Dori. I had taken side streets to get to Uniqlo. I figured there would be less people in that store than the one in Tobu Ikebukuro Station. I was right. This Uniqlo attracts tourists and there were very few still in the area. I like to go to the Sunshine 60 store when I want to see what they have available. I was able to get a couple of tops, a jacket, casual pants and one other item. I find the clean lines and styles there fit more with what I like compared to what I find at US stores. And of course I also can find them in the colors that I like. So I couldn't leave Japan without stopping in for a few fashion items.

Heading back to my hotel I found...sakura.

While there were a few people out, the images of the shut down entertainment theaters like the Toshima Civic Center were sobering.

A lot of entertainment performers and the people that support them had been out of work for almost a month and with no idea when it will be okay to have live performances. I really hope that Japan will find a way to support them.

While not quite the image of Rikugien's lighted sakura, it was still nice to have a little night time sakura viewing.




I know a couple friends are into Bungou Stray Dogs so I had to take a photo of the poster for the live stage show. I was curious how well they could show the various super powers. Unfortunately, no way to see the show in person.

A night time view of the west side of Ikebukuro that many don't see.

Ikebukuro Chop was still open that night. I hope the live houses will be able to return. They are the backbone of Japan's music scene, where many bands start out, and many continue to be able to perform.

And back to my hotel for my conbini dinner. Cold soba noodles. Not bad. Every time I am reminded that I want to go find really traditional soba restaurants, the good places throughout Japan. One day, I hope I can.

As for that other item I found at Uniqlo, it was this. Not the usual Uniqlo fashion but I really was happy. This fashion was displayed as being worn over other clothing, which is exactly what I have been looking for.

It's actually a nice sheer dark blue negligee that came with a slip short nightgown. Definitely something I will wear.

No comments:

Post a Comment