Mana's Beautiful World is Forever

Mana's Beautiful World is Forever

Tuesday, April 16, 2019

Sushi and Ikebukuro Station

If you wander around Ikebukuro Station long enough, you will find tiny restaurants and food take out places in some of the smallest areas. Sometimes it pays to walk to the end of a corridor past your usual exit. One day I discovered this little Krispy Kreme booth with it's Sesame Street colorful donuts. I will confess to eating both of the matcha donuts. Because it's something that won't ever be at the local Krispy Kremes here. 

But my favorite "hole in the wall" place that I found is Tachigui Midori Sushi, also known as Midori Sushi Echika Ikebukuro. There is a little standing sushi bar there, but what caught my attention was the long case full of take-out sushi. So I grabbed this pack with various types of nigiri. 

I also picked up this cucumber with ume rolls, as something to eat for breakfast the next day. Both were really good and fresh. The ease of getting these right by the exit I used at Ikebukuro Station was very nice after a long day of walking around places in Tokyo. 

I will say that once a person has good ikura, (seasoned salmon roe), it ups your standard for something equal if not better. This salmon sushi bowl was tasty and fresh. Because there is a little kitchen behind the wall where the refrigerated case is. It is where they prepare all of their take-out food. And since they do a brisk business, most of the items do not stay long in the case.

I did eat more than sushi. Believe it or not, this salad was from a 7-Eleven konbini. And it was good. Along with the maguro nigiri from Tachigui Midori Sushi.

I read they have a little stand-up sushi bar, but since I was finding enough variety in their case, I didn't stop in. Usually there was a short line for purchasing, but even that wait was not long. And with a decent selection, to go was easier. One day I wanted to try one of their larger rolls. I think this is their version of a California roll and it was good. 

My last day in Tokyo so I splurged. And it wasn't much money either. Their prices are decent for what you get. 

I just had to throw in these jumbo sushi rolls. Breakfast before my flight back to Oregon. So big I couldn't eat all of it. But it was fun to try it.

So if you are ever in Ikebukuro Station and wanting decent take out sushi, head for exit C-6. Tachigui Midori Sushi is on your left as you walk to the escalator. 

No comments:

Post a Comment