Mana's Beautiful World is Forever

Mana's Beautiful World is Forever

Wednesday, April 24, 2019

From Meguro to Ginza

I'm always looking for interesting things to see when I travel. One day during my last trip to Tokyo in March this year, I found myself walking along a long river under sakura trees. 

It's interesting and sometimes sad to see what Japan does with their waterways in their urban landscape. Not just the sides are bricked up, but the bottom too. 

Even so, it was a pretty river. And even prettier when when the sakura bloom. 

Along the way I came across what I think is Jizo, possibly for travelers along this river side road.

Along with this balcony full of aliens. 

Sadly the sakura were not blooming yet. The buds meant it would happen soon. 

As for the river, it was Meguro-gawa. 

and in Meguro, I was headed to this place. 

However I didn't realize there was a number of steps required to enter the building. First one went in another building to get a number. It appeared people were filling out forms there. After that one had to wait in this line. Information that is missing on the English Starbuck's website. 

I wasn't too bothered by this, since Starbucks isn't high on my list of places to visit, in part because there are Starbucks everywhere in the US. I just thought it would be interesting because it was brand new in Tokyo.

Heading back to the Naka-Maguro Station, I still wanted something to drink. I stopped in this cute little restaurant Longcafe Stand.

I enjoyed a bit of iced tea while figuring out where I wanted to go for dinner. 

One train ride later I found myself back under that moon. 

In the luxury shopping center of Tokyo. Where I made a reservation for dinner the next night at the Vampire Cafe.

Yes it's Ginza again. 

Fun to see this Queen pop-up shop in front of one of the ritzy stores. Japan still loves Queen. 

It was nice to see again the astrology clock of Ginza Diamond Shiraishi.

Since the Moi-même-Moitié collaboration dinner at Vampire Cafe didn't start till the next day, I headed over to my other favorite place in Ginza. TAU Hiroshima Brand Shop. I thought I would try the Italian place upstairs, MERI Principessa. But unfortunately the whole restaurant was reserved for a company that evening. My luck this day was not going well.

So I ended up at a place I'd eaten at before. But the name of the place had changed. It's now Koi Koi. But they still serve Hiroshima okonomiyaki.

And they still have the long grill where it gets a little warm. So it was one of those moments that a tall beer was welcome. 

While I watched the show. Fire up that okonomiyaki! 

Or slather it with this white gloop. That white gloop was grated mountain yam, naga-imo.

And that was my okonomiyaki. 

 And it was quite good. I was happy to sit down and enjoy this meal. If you happen to be traveling to Tokyo and want to try okonomiyaki, Koi Koi in TAU Hiroshima Brand Store in Ginza is one place you can do that.


No comments:

Post a Comment