Mana's Beautiful World is Forever

Mana's Beautiful World is Forever

Wednesday, April 3, 2019

Shibuya on March 11th

I was in Japan on March 11th, 2011, flying just north of the islands when the earthquake hit. I spent that night stuck in Haneda International Airport. So on March 11th, this year, I was reminded of just how destructive that disaster was.

I had reasons to visit Shibuya. But to see the Yahoo sign with the height of the tsunami waves as a vivid red line, made me stop for a bit to think about that time and all the people that were lost. It wasn't the only reminder for me that day. 

Shibuya, always crowded near the train station.

But I headed away from the crowds. I always like seeing the old style maps.

I finally visited ZEAL LINK! This is the music shop for anyone interested in Visual Kei. I didn't find anything I wanted to buy, but it was fun to see what was in there.

The streets around this part of Shibuya are interesting, with a emphasis towards music and fashion that goes with it. Creative street art also.


You never know what you might run into. Like these guys shooting a music video.

Japan and it's "do not do this" signs. I'd guess this one means no dancing in the street. Really? One hasn't lived until they have danced in a street.

Speaking of running into someone, I came around the corner and there was a Visual Kei band getting out of a van and going into the Chelsea Hotel. Sorry, I didn't get any decent photos of them.

Shibuya really is the place for music in Tokyo, and Japan. After checking out a couple more music stores, I found myself at a really large group of buildings. Turns out it was the Bunkamura Studios, Museum, Concert Hall and more. Sometimes I find interesting places when I wander.

The March 11th moments were not done yet. Hungry and thirsty I stopped in at a place that was part of a company that helped me out back in 2011.

It's not a trip to Japan if I haven't tried something different. Or kind of different. This smoked salmon with cheese sandwich was warm and tasty. Somewhat of a change from the American bagel version.

As to the place, it was Caffe Veloce in Shibuya. Caffe Veloce restaurants were one of the few places open back in 2011 that had food. Which I appreciated very much.

No comments:

Post a Comment