Mana's Beautiful World is Forever

Mana's Beautiful World is Forever

Thursday, April 11, 2019

Ikebukuro Glasses and More

I can function okay without glasses. But sometimes the print on things can be pretty small, like on customs forms. So I do have a pair of inexpensive glasses for that, and for doing needlework. Except on this last trip to Japan, they broke. So I wondered where the heck would I find inexpensive reading glasses in Japan? Lucky for me, one of the best places was right there in Ikebukuro.

It's the Reading Glasses Museum in Higashi Ikebukuro. And as you can see, the building is covered with glasses. Inside is the same thing. It is a very unique place.

And for under 1000 yen I ended up with this pair of reading glasses along with a hard plastic case and cleaning cloth. Not bad. 

While I was there, I walked a bit. I found a number of shrines and temples. And this place, Racines Bistro.

A lower level space with a bakery and restaurant that serves a variety of food at lunch.

And later in the day they serve something else. I was placed at a long table that faced their open kitchen, enjoying a bit of tea while I waited.

For this. Japanese soufflé pancakes.

I wasn't looking for this place, but getting the chance to see what all the talk was about, I couldn't pass it up. These were nice and warm, served with whipped cream, butter and maple syrup, topped with a sprinkle of powdered sugar. Yes they did taste of eggs and had that fluffy soufflé texture. It was fun to get a chance to eat these pancakes.

Outside the weather was balmy and beautiful. Another March day in Tokyo that looked like this.

No comments:

Post a Comment