Mana's Beautiful World is Forever

Mana's Beautiful World is Forever

Thursday, July 26, 2018

Checking out Yurakucho

My walk down Naka-dori led me to a much busier Hibiya. 

And to what is now known as Hibiya Godzilla Square. 

Previously there was a Godzilla statue here since 1995. Based on the original movie, the statue's size was rather small despite what some photos might show. But now, Godzilla has grown to 3 meters high, including the platform.

I will say the detailing for the new Godzilla was impressive. The statue was based on the 2016 "Shin Godzilla" movie.

There is also new signage which states in both Japanese and English "Man must live with Godzilla". It's a line from "Shin Godzilla".

Moving on from visiting with Godzilla, I walked to an area that I had wanted to visit for a few years, Yurakucho.

Actually the part of Yurakucho that dates back to 1910, when the Yurakucho Station was built and the Yamanote line elevated tracks created multiple spaces below.

Built of brick it's remarkable these tracks are still standing. Although many of the spaces have been sealed off from public, there are still a number of restaurants and bars. The area is known as "gaado-shita" (below the girders) and the mainstay of the area are the yaki grill restaurants.

Although not all the old places are under the tracks.

Opposite the tracks are a number of various restaurants from European style cuisine to more traditional Japanese fare. There are a number of bars also.

Open walkways exist so a glimpse of what the tunnels look like is available. I also have to say I notice more graffiti each trip I take to Tokyo.

One of those European style restaurants, with a German flair.

Along with a place offering Italian dishes.

While parts of the area are lively, there are still stretches that are a bit more utility and sealed up.

So how could I go here and not eat? That's what is in my next post.

No comments:

Post a Comment