Mana's Beautiful World is Forever

Mana's Beautiful World is Forever

Wednesday, May 22, 2019

Shoshuniji and Taichoji Temples in Yoyogi

Remember my post about eating curry at Potohar again? Of course I took a walk afterwards. Through the same area I walked a year prior. The Bunka Fashion College which is right by Potohar. 

 Just an aside, since I saw a cloud like this recently. Turns out this formation is rare. It's called a cirrus vertebratus because it looks like a spine. So now I've seen one in Oregon and one in Yoyogi, Japan.

Under those clouds, I walked the greenway again. Sadly the sakura were not blooming yet. 

But that did allow some nice glimpses of the temples nearby. 

Which I visited again. This is Shoshuniji Buddhist Temple. 

 Where a few ume, plum, blossoms were still blooming.


This time I decided to take a better look at the hondo at Shohuniji.  

My telephoto lens on my camera gave me nice shots of the komainu on the roof. 


Along with a carved bird at the center of the roof lintel. I will assume it is probably a hou-ou, a phoenix.

Also on the grounds of Shoshuniji was this delightful pair of stone fish. 


More ume on this tree in a rather bare part of the grounds. Perhaps it is an attempt to distract from the not so attractive Metropolitan Expressway. 

Over to the other temple here, there was sakura blooming with this little kawazu-zakura. I want one of these little trees.


More ume showing off. I'm glad I was able to see some during my visit. 

And the hondo for Taichoji Buddhist Temple. 

Gorgeous tree growing so big it's run out of space. 

And the entrance mon or gate. Still closed. This is a view from the inside, to contrast with the surrounding buildings. 

The modern structures really overwhelm in this area. Like the Tokyo Metropolitan Government Building. 

And the NTT Docomo Yoyogi Building. 

I will say the good thing about these skyscrapers is they help in knowing what direction you are headed if you are walking in the area. And that clock is helpful too.

My previous post from the year before about these temples is here in case you want to know a little more about them: http://blukats.blogspot.com/2018/08/temples-and-shrines-in-yoyogi-shibuya.html

No comments:

Post a Comment