Mana's Beautiful World is Forever

Mana's Beautiful World is Forever

Thursday, May 23, 2019

Checking out the Tokyo International Forum

Time for something different than temples and shrines. I did visit other places on my trip in March. And I wanted to do something interesting for March 19th. So I headed to Tokyo Station.

Tokyo Station is located in the Marunouchi business district in Tokyo, so there is a lot of money that has been put into architecture there, spanning many eras.

Tokyo Station was originally built in 1914 but has had sections rebuilt at various times over the years. The original architect, Kingo Tatsuno, was influenced by Victorian architecture while he studied in London, and the look of the station reflects that.

Tokyo Station isn't the only building in the area with this appearance. And I will mention another place in my next blog post. But this post is about another famous building in the area.

As I got closer to my destination, I couldn't help but notice certain things that seemed to be connected to my little adventure. Not intentionally of course. Such as Pub Cardinal Marunouchi.

And the colorful bats on the Tokia Tokyo Building. Which were right by where I was going. In fact, I could see it in the glass.

Across the street was the Tokyo International Forum.

So why go here? Besides it being a place to view amazing architectural design and take photos, they hold concerts and events here. But I was here because I had seen it mentioned as an interesting place to check out.

And because MALICE MIZER chose the location for a photo shoot.

Walking in is a rather awe inspiring event. Totally open inside up to 11 stories, quickly you notice the building is shaped like a ship.

Instead of stairs, there are ramps going up to each level.

And there are these cat walks that jut out, crossing to the other Tokyo International Forum building. So was I brave enough to walk on those?

Interestingly they come together like a five pointed star.

Part of the architectural design looks like it could actually be a turning point for parts of the building, like an axle. Or maybe a ship's main mast.

I made it up to the long walkway that runs along the glass window side of the building. There are about 3,600 pieces of glass in this building.



And at one of the cat walks. 

Which I bravely walked out onto. At that point I didn't have a problem with the height.

It was remarkable to get a closer look at the ceiling. The height is 57 meters. 

The building is 207 meters long. 

It is 32 meters wide.

A closer look at the trusses under the roof. 

The feeling of being suspended up in the air with nothing underneath me did keep me from walking more on the cat walks. Along with the thought of earthquakes. But I did walk out on the one.

Back down the ramp and on to my next location.


No comments:

Post a Comment