Mana's Beautiful World is Forever

Mana's Beautiful World is Forever

Friday, May 24, 2019

Café 1894 and Mitsubishi Ichigokan Museum

My second destination on March 19th was a place I had thought about visiting before. Mistsubishi Ichigokan Museum is a renown art museum in the Marunouchi district.  

Originally built in 1894 from the designs of English architect Josiah Conder, the design is Victorian Queen Anne. However this is not the original building.

The original building was torn down in 1968. 

Materials and some of the original plans were used in this this rebuild on the property. The museum in the building was later installed and opened in 2010.

 Another part of the building is the recreation of a bank that also existed in this location. But now it's a place to eat at. Café 1894.



Inside they recreated the design of the bank, including a molded vaulted ceiling to give a feel of interiors of that era. 

I apologize for my slightly out of focus photo. I was hesitant to take photos, but the place was so interesting I couldn't resist. Inside was a bar between the columned pillars.

Even though the molding is newer, it really nice to see and added to the air of being transported back in time. 

As for what to eat, I was in time for their Lunch Mini Desert Set.

I ended up with this sandwich, soup, salad and shrimp plate. Part of the sandwich was smoked salmon which was delightful. The soup was tomato and there was a small bowl of berry preserves to put on the small piece of bread that hiding by the soup. I felt like I was at a picnic. 

The paper wrapping the sandwich was in English, complete with an ad for roses.  

Given what day it was, I had hoped for cake for the dessert. I was lucky, because it wasn't just cake but chocolate mousse cake with raspberry sauce, blueberries and mint. This is one of my favorite desserts and on this golden plate, I was very pleased. I enjoyed it with a nice cup of coffee. This was a perfect moment. 

"The Blessed Damozel" by Dante Gabriel Rossetti

The second part of this visit here was to see the "Parabola of Pre-Raphaelitism" exhibit.  This was not the first time I've been to an art exhibit in Japan, but I will say this was not my favorite. The layout in each room was not in an expected manner nor was it clear where photography was and wasn't allowed.

"Risen at Dawn, also known as Gretchen Discovering the Jewels" by Dante Gabriel Rossetti

I did appreciate the section where they not only displayed some of the master work of the period, such as these pieces by Rossetti, but also showed photos of the models like Jane Morris. This gave a human feel to the art. I love knowing the story behind art and music.

I would definitely recommend Café 1894.

This was an interesting part of my day. But it wasn't over yet.


No comments:

Post a Comment