Mana's Beautiful World is Forever

Mana's Beautiful World is Forever

Friday, March 29, 2019

Back to the Start, Heading to Japan Again

My last post was about having dinner in Ginza, Japan. So what happened before this and how did I end up in Japan? Well, it started with me taking the train to Portland International Airport. It was one of the first days in some time where there wasn't rain, ice and snow falling. 

I took the opportunity to stop at one of Portland's better known and respected coffee producers. Where I found out if I buy a bag of coffee beans, I get a free cup of freshly brewed. Good timing since I was extremely tired having only slept about two hours the night before. I had not slept much in a couple of weeks because my 14 year old cat Kenji suddenly became sick and died. He had become diabetic a few years before this, so I knew that sooner or later his body would give out. I had hoped this trip would give me some relief.

So back to PDX where I was playing coffee courier. Obligatory PDX carpet shot with Stumptown coffee. Proof it was as fresh as I could get it.

I spied a familiar sight. Not this time, but maybe in the future Hawaiian Air?

With a little time and feeling hungry, I decided on a breakfast style burrito at Tamale Boy. It's nice that Portland International Airport has lower price options for food. Some airports do not.

Inside was a rather tasty mix of potatoes, eggs, cilantro and other vegetarian fillings.

Somewhere on the way to the gate was this large glass tank filled with fabric jellyfish and sea sponges. Created by artist Sayuri Sasaki Hemann, turns out this is dedicated to those affected by the 2011 Great Tohoku Disaster. 

After my last trip to Japan, I decided it would be faster to get a little yen at PDX than risk the wait if Narita Aiport was crowded. Turned out I had plenty of time to do this. Because not only did we sit in the plane at the gate for an hour after boarding, we were then told to deplane with everything we brought on. TSA had us go through security again, and then we all had to go through boarding again. I never heard why this happened and I did not see anyone pulled aside or removed from the plane. After all this, my non-stop Delta flight finally took off for Japan.

No comments:

Post a Comment