Mana's Beautiful World is Forever

Mana's Beautiful World is Forever

Monday, May 7, 2018

Gojoten and Hanazono Shrines in Ueno Park

Since I made the effort to be out in the rainy, icy, snowy weather, I decided I wanted to visit a shrine or two. One was on my list but before I made it there, these red torii caught my attention. 

I'd always wanted to walk through a row of torii like this.  

To have this many meant the shrine here was special to people. 

Red torii also means it's an Inari Okami Shinto shrine.


 And of course, there are foxes.


 This shrine area is interesting because there are a number of pathways and different little shrines hidden away. However the main Inari shrine Haiden is easy to find.

And the fox messengers here are cute. 

 One had a cub, a symbol of fertility while the other had what looked like a large jewel under it's paw. This is a common symbol with Inari, a jewel that grants wishes.

While Hanazono Inari Shrine has been here for some time, the Gojoten Shrine has only been around for about 1900 years or so. It was moved into this location in 1928. This building is the Honden where the Kami are enshrined.  

 The purification Chozuya resembles a lotus flower.

 The Gojoten Haiden, with large stone lanterns and komainu.

A look at one of the komainu. 

A look back with a sakura tree about to burst into bloom. If the weather had not been so bad, I would have spent more time looking around and taking photos. But this was not the end of my visit to Ueno Park.

No comments:

Post a Comment