Mana's Beautiful World is Forever

Mana's Beautiful World is Forever

Thursday, May 25, 2017

Shinjuku Sights

Shinjuku is a place with varied views. Go out one way from Shinjuku Station and you are in the shopping entertainment area. Out a different exit on the east side and you are at the vast green of Shinjuku Gyoen after walking a little. Out the west exits and you could end up seeing some of Tokyo's iconic architecture like the curved Sompo Japan Nipponkoa Head Office Building.

Along with the well known Tokyo Metropolitan Government Building.

The most famous is probably the Mode Gakuen Cocoon Tower. It is a 204-metre, 50-story educational facility.

Which stands out even in the sea of skyscrapers of Shinjuku.

After my time at Akasaka Palace I first got something to eat and then took the Oedo Line to Shinjuku. Part of what I wanted to see was at the Keio Plaza Hotel which is nestled amongst those famous skyscrapers. Where for Hinamatsuri they had 6500 hanging silk ornaments for good luck.

Along with the display of all these ornaments they had Kai-awase laid out. Kai-awase is a painted clam shell matching game which is played during Hinamatsuri. The paired clam shells represent united couples, so they say.



Of course they had a traditional Hinamatsuri doll display.


 Their set featured Heian period figures and was quite elegant.

I didn't stay long because I was meeting my friend to do a little shopping. On the way to meet her I passed Omoide Yokocho (Memory Lane) which use to be known as Piss Alley. It's known for the bars and tiny restaurants crammed into this narrow street.

But that wasn't my destination. Which was actually the other side of the station where there are lots of shops and entertainment places. Don't be fooled by this photo, it's actually a very busy area with lots of pedestrians. Found my friend and we did a little looking around before we ended up at Marui Annex. We did a little window shopping, bought a few things at the KERA Shop and I found Marui Annex was a good place to get regional Kit Kats.

We were both hungry and my friend wanted to try Tully's limited sakura drink. I think this was the Sakura Matcha Latte.

We both got the limited Sakura Strawberry Waffle Sandwich. Which was a cream type mousse and strawberry flavoring. Except for the pink sprinkles it was more strawberry than sakura. The waffle was fresh which was nice.

We sat and talking for a time about the concerts, music, people, life. She also gifted me this bit of duck foie gras. I still have to come up with something to use it for. I'm sure I will think of something.

I found this lovely choker in the KERA shop. I'm sad that there was no tag in the package after I purchased it so I don't know who made it.

Also a few of the Moi meme Moitie things I bought at the KERA Shop and at Atelier Pierrot Laforet in Harajuku. I also bought a choker. Happy that at Atelier Pierrot I was able to get the hashi (chopsticks). I haven't used them yet but I have been tempted. Really need an elegant meal for that.

No comments:

Post a Comment