Mana's Beautiful World is Forever

Mana's Beautiful World is Forever

Wednesday, May 23, 2018

Walking Through Tsukishima: Aioibashi

Partway through my Tokyo trip I switched hotels. Not because there was anything wrong with where I was staying, but because I wanted to check out another part of Tokyo and the room rates were a lot less. So on the day I changed places, I had time in between. I left my bags at the first hotel and headed out to an area not far from Tsukiji and Ginza. One of the first things I saw there was this bridge. The Aioibashi. 

Tokyo has so many bridges, some with histories and others that became famous for their appearance. The Aioi isn't famous for it's appearance and doesn't have much a history except for it's name. Which translates to "good couple". Why this name? Read on for the answer. 

While the bridge isn't much to see the views are not bad. Like this ship with amazing rigging. The green cross flag may be a Japanese flag of safety and health.  This is the Meiji-maru, built in Scotland in 1873 for the Japanese government. The ship tended lighthouses and at one time Emperor Meiji sailed on it. It is now a museum. The flag may be there because they are doing work on it.

Aioibashi is one of several bridges that span across the Sumida River. That's Eitai Bridge in the distance, which is known for it's appearance. Across the way is Etchujima, or Etchu Island.

A look at one of the greenways that line the Sumida River. This one is called Ishikawajima Park and it wraps around the end of this island. Again the Eitai Bridge and just beyond is the tip of Sky Tree Tower. 

Like a lot of Tokyo, this part is home to many nondescript buildings. Office buildings, apartments, there isn't much that gives them character. Although the views of the river may be nice.

 On the left is Tsukuda Island. I will have photos of it in another post.

That green wooded area may look like it is the other side but actually it's a little island in the middle of the river. Nakanoshima Park. I'm not sure if there is a way to get there from the bridge. And this may be why the name of the bridge is "Good Couple". Because there use to be two bridges here. One long, one short. My guess is they met at Nakano Island. When the Great Kanto Earthquake happened in 1923 both bridges burned. The current truss bridge is made of steel and was completed in 1998-2000. It's 489.17 feet long or 149.1 meters. 

My walk across the the Aioibashi wasn't that boring. There was a bird sighting. Of a massive Jungle Crow or Large Billed Crow. I wish there was something that could show the size of this bird. They are impressive.

No comments:

Post a Comment