Misadventures with Miso

Misadventures with Miso

Thursday, May 3, 2018

Kimono at Tokyo National Museum

 Over the years I've done my share of needlework. And I have a thing for beautiful clothing. So of course I gravitated to the amazing kimono on display at the Tokyo National Museum.

 Many had a seasonal feeling to them which may be why they were chosen to have these particular ones out. I was able to find a little bit about them on the Museum website. Except the green one above. This orange kimono is from the Edo era as are all except one that I have photos of.

 Also from the 18th century, this kimono was not only embroidered with sakura and other flowers but the wave pattern and brown coloring were dyed to create this look.

 Another heavily embroidered long sleeved kimono from the 18th century. Formal embroidery like this is called nihon shishu, 日本の刺繍. 

 This white Edo period kimono features a trellis pattern at the bottom and orange, beige and gold kanji at the top. I do not know what the kanji says.

 Another lovely dyed kimono with fans and other shapes. Also from the 18th century Edo period. 

 I believe the shapes and stripes are dyed and the flowers and branches are embroidered.

This formal kimono is a Junihitoe set, worn by a high ranking court lady of the 19th century, of the naishi no suke rank. I can't help but imagine someone wearing this.



 This last Edo period kimono got my attention. Unlike the others it featured a snow and flower theme.

 Embroidered ume flower branches emerge from white bits of snow.

The white was achieved through dying. 

 Accents of bits of snow were also embroidered. 

It's rather simple compared to some of the other kimono. 

But the effect is very pretty.

No comments:

Post a Comment