Mana's Beautiful World is Forever

Mana's Beautiful World is Forever

Tuesday, April 3, 2018

Sakura-Con 2018

 Where to start with this? Perhaps with the fact that my reason for going to Sakura-Con in Seattle was to make-up for the three other times I could have seen Mana in the US and didn't? Twice in Los Angeles (one of those times was with Moi dix Mois) and once in Seattle with Moi dix Mois (which was a couple weeks before I was moving to Oregon). Again timing was something since the convention started two days after I returned from Tokyo. But there were those three misses staring at me. So on March 30th I did the three hour drive up to Seattle and found myself in a mixture of cosplay and street clothed crowd at the Washington State Convention Center in Seattle.

 After getting my badge I went to the sales floor. Mana was attending to support the clothing line he created, Moi-même-Moitié. Both items from that line and also from the website shop Wunderwelt were available to purchase at their booth.
 A small display was set up with a schedule of events and an autographed chip board, complete with a drawing by Mana of one of his eyes.

Just a few of the lovely dresses they had for sale.

 I had a few questions and Kandice was really helpful in answering them. She also was very nice to pose for a photo. She was wearing the Moi-même-Moitié Lace Cross jumper skirt from 2011.

 Which was important because Moi-même-Moitié is releasing a new version of that dress. Here it is in black with blue lace.
 And the black with white lace version. There are a couple differences with the new version. Instead of a bow in the back it has corset lacing. And it will come in both a medium and a large size. You can check the Wunderwelt Fleur site if you are looking for more information.

 The other Japanese fashion designer that was a guest at Sakura-Con was Mint Neko of h.NAOTO. This was fun for me to see because I met Mint a few years back when he was just beginning his cat designs for the Sixh line. It's neat to see he's done well enough to have not only his own line but also Mint Neko stores in Japan.

 Just a few shots of his booth. You can see his characteristic cat head image on the sleeve of  one top. 

 This is Ba who was also super helpful and was wearing a really cute Mint Neko outfit.

 More Mint Neko items including his creative bags.





 Along with Mint's clothing they also had a number of Gouk items. Gouk incorporates traditional Japanese patterns into really nice and comfortable clothing.

 Another creative Mint Neko bag and outfit.

 Just a photo of their booth the next day after the fashion shows. It definitely was busier. It's good that both booths did well with their sales.

 I said fashion shows? The second day, Saturday, of Sakura-Con featured a fashion show with clothing from Mint Neko. This was followed by a Moi-même-Moitié fashion show. It was held on the main stage. This is before, with Mana mood lighting.

 Accented by Mint Neko green screens. I wish I had more photos but it was very difficult and for the Moi-même-Moitié part, no photos were allowed. For Mint Neko, the lighting was white and the music was instrumental funky rock. I'm guessing it was performed by Mint and other h.NAOTO members since he has performed with IBI for a number of years. Audience members liked it. As for the models, they reflected an edgy look, wearing Mint's unstructured pieces with flair. It was a fun show and well received.

It was a nice pairing of the unconstructed look with Moi-même-Moitié's structured apparel. Showing two sides of the best of recent Japanese fashion. Moi-même-Moitié's show consisted of lolita models wearing various pieces from recent years. The lighting turned to blue with some moments of different colors. A bit of fog added a dramatic feeling and video of the models was alternated with Moi-même-Moitié graphics on the big screens. Of course the music was Moi dix Mois and the set was similar to what they play in concert with one of the last songs being Pageant. Very mood setting. The final model of the night was the person everyone was waiting to see. Mana came out wearing a white Metal Emblem shirt and black pants. He was wearing the Long Overskirt.  He made quite an impression with the crowd cheering and clapping. I would say his return to Sakura-Con and America was a success.


Mana did post on Twitter a selfie from the day so you can see part of his look. I hope he does not mind that I share it here. Also Moi-même-Moitié has shared on Facebook a post with photos from the key make-up artist for the show. You can see them in their fashion show outfits here.

And let me add a photo Mana just posted on Twitter of his fashion show outfit.

And since Mana has shared a photo of the models and himself on Twitter, I hope it is okay that I add it to this post about the Moi-même-Moitié fashion show. Because it is always better to see what was worn than to just read about it. (And I can say when I see these dresses, I'm reminded how I would like to own the ones on the ends.)

 Speaking of looks, one of the best parts of Sakura-Con was getting to meet and chat with various people. Here is Donis in a cool street clothes look, who is into goth and was just checking everything out. I wish my photos were better but both I and my camera were probably suffering from jet lag. Also very sorry if I mispelled anyone's name.

 I met the very pretty Michi who was with her lovely friend Karrie when I was out looking for some place to eat. Karrie was wearing cosplay at the time but was going to be wearing Moi-même-Moitié the next day as a model in the fashion show. Michi's great aqua colored outfit featured a Metamorphose dress.

 I did not take many cosplay photos because there were so many cosplayers there it was a little overwhelming. I did like how this photo turned out with the shadow.

One more cosplayer. This is Teppy, wearing his really great Moi dix Mois Mana outfit. The details were really nice! I met him while we were standing in line waiting to get into the question and answer panel. Which will be the next thing I post about.

No comments:

Post a Comment