Mana's Beautiful World is Forever

Mana's Beautiful World is Forever

Tuesday, September 27, 2016

Yanaka Cemetary

Just across from Tennoji is Yanaka Cemetery. Yanaka was part of Tennoji and was the largest cemetery in Japan at one time. It also is the final resting place for the last Shogun, Tokugawa Yoshinobu.

It's also known for it's sakura trees but since it was August the sarusuberi (crepe myrtle) were blooming.

Even though I had a map, the walk ways were not all marked on it. Turned out Yoshinobu's plot was a little further than I walked so I did not see it. I did find the Sakai Clan plot. They were one of the chief retainer families of Tokugawa Ieyasu.

Mostly though I just wandered. It was hot and I was tired, but it still felt a little restful to slowly walk and look around.

I found this sad Buddha rather touching.

I have no idea who this is for. It is one of the older sites in the cemetery.

Close up you can see engraving in the stones that looks like rope or plants.

So many different styles of markers there. Even though it was hot the cemetery felt serene. I wouldn't mind returning on a day where the temperatures are more hospitable. And also checking out the Yanaka area beyond this.

But I still wanted to go to Nippori on this day so instead I turned back to the train station. This beautiful morning glory was on the way to the station. I couldn't help but take a photo.

No comments:

Post a Comment