Mana's Beautiful World is Forever

Mana's Beautiful World is Forever

Monday, September 26, 2016

Tennoji Temple

Each trip I have said that I want to visit Nippori Textile Town. So I figured out what trains to take and finally made it there this trip. It wasn't far from Ningyocho, just a couple stops from Akihabara and very near Ueno. Exited the station and decided to go the opposite way from Nippori just for a little bit. Crossed this older looking bridge and walked up a short road.

And found myself in Yanaka Cemetery.

There are a couple temples and shrines right by Yanaka Cemetery. One is Tennoji Temple. Founded in 1274 as part of the  Nichiren sect. Obviously the main gate was built long after that.

The Shogunate closed down Tennoji in the late 17th century claiming heresy. It reopened in 1699 as part of the Tendai sect and remains a Tendai temple today. Seated right by the entrance gate is Tennoji Daibutsu, a large bronze Buddha statue created in 1690 by Ota Kyuemon. I don't know which sect added it to Tennoji since that is before it reopened.

Along with Buddha, there is also a lucky god worshiped here. I do not know who's shrine this is but there is another dedicated to one of the seven lucky gods, Bishamonten. He is the god of wealth and protector of Buddhism. Warriors worshiped him as he is considered to be a protector of the nation. I did not get a decent photo of his shrine but it's much larger than this one.

Tennoji also has a Chōzubachi along with a number of different shrines.

 These lovely large pots were filled with lotus plants. I wasn't lucky enough to see them blooming.

One of the temple buildings. I have no idea as to the age but it does look newer than many of the shrines there.

This may be the Tennoji statue of Kannon. I do not know what the relief plaque below references to.

Another temple building. Probably older than the first one with a lot more architectural detail including the neat onigawara at the roof peak.

Another gate, this one much older than the large entrance gate. Across the street is the subject of my next post, Yanaka Cemetery.

No comments:

Post a Comment