Mana's Beautiful World is Forever

Mana's Beautiful World is Forever

Thursday, September 15, 2016

Studio Ghibli Roppongi Hills Exhibit

The reason I was at Mori Tower at Roppongi Hills was because they were having a Studio Ghibli exhibit. I have never been to the Studio Ghibli Museum so I thought this would be an easier way to get a look at what went into their animation. Outside of the rooms there were posters from the new movie "The Red Turtle".

I thought going early on a Monday would be a good idea, less people. I was wrong. Also NO photos were allowed inside. Not even of the giant Totoro. Wouldn't matter because if I had taken photos all you would have see would be people. The place was packed. There was zero attempt to limit the numbers inside. It was impossible to see most of the art work because not only was it packed but people didn't want to move. Or if they did it was to push me from behind. Which was a bad idea because I couldn't go anywhere because the people in front of me were not moving.

They did have this Cat Bus which kids adored. Long line to get it in. Since I was there by myself and didn't have kids with me, I was okay with just taking a few photos from the side.

The crazy thing about this exhibit is the best part didn't have as many people viewing. Which was great. And they allowed photos.

If you don't recognize the art work, it's "Laputa: Castle in the Sky".

To enter the next room you had to go under this moving windmill.


Recorded a very short video of it. Might want to turn the sound down a little, lots of people talking.

Inside was pretty amazing.

Cut outs of all kinds of flying ships.

With this giant one hovering over a city.

It actually moved up and down with propellers spinning and the rudders on the bottom moving up and down.

I couldn't resist filming this too. Also turn the sound down because the acoustics of the room made people sound really loud.

I wish the lighting was a little better in there but then they probably set it up for sunny days.

Apparently the city and the ship light up from inside at night.

Very impressive. If the rest of the exhibit was as good as this and not so packed with people I would have said it was worth seeing. Sadly they did zero limiting of numbers allowed in which was extremely disappointing. All those photos people posted of the preview, those guys were really lucky.

I couldn't even figure out where the gift shop was. Might have been by this cool display but I was worn out from the heat and the crowds so I decided to see if I could get something to eat. I had better luck with that which will be in my next post.

No comments:

Post a Comment