Mana's Beautiful World is Forever

Mana's Beautiful World is Forever

Friday, September 2, 2016

Grabbing a Bite to Eat in Ningyocho

I said I would write about a few Ningyocho food items that I ate. How would you like to try something to eat from here? I did.

The sign says 人形町今半惣 which translates to Ningyocho Now Semi-Prepared Foods. While not an enticing name it does say what they offer. It's actually part of a famous sukiyaki restaurant, Imahan, which is across the small street. I came across this place after accidentally going the wrong way from the Ningyocho Station one extremely hot day.

I picked up a small serving of karaage fried chicken 唐揚げ and potato salad ポテトサラダ. Sharing this photo because of the ingenious little ice pack they placed on the potato salad.

Don't know if I ever mentioned how much I love Japanese potato salad and well made karaage. Theirs was excellent. The salad was really creamy and just right with the spices. Nice bits of crunch amidst all that potato goodness. As for the karaage, it was also really great. Tender, well seasoned and not oily or overcooked. It sure beat konbini versions.

In fact it was so good I went another day to get more for lunch. Normally I would not eat this much but between the heat and all I lost 15 pounds this trip.

Something I do eat almost every day is bananas, usually one for breakfast. I have found they help reduce muscle cramping for me. I was buying them at a konbini but then found Sukaya Fruit Shop 須賀屋果実店. You would think bananas would cost more here but actually they were cheaper. So I was happy to help out this local business.

As for what food was most popular in August while I was there? It has to be Kakigori かき氷 sweetened shaved ice. I did not partake of this but I saw many people enjoying it from places all over Tokyo.

Naruto Taiyaki Honpo 鳴門鯛焼本舗 was closed along with all the other taiyaki shops when I was wandering around early in the morning. Taiyaki is big in Ningyocho. Taiyaki is made with a waffle-like batter with a filling. Traditionally that filling is sweetened red (adzuki) bean paste but other fillings like chocolate or vanilla pastry cream are also used. The cooking molds are in the shape of a tai fish, thus the name.

Itakuraya 板倉屋, a Japanese confectionary shop that offers ningyo-yaki 人形焼き was open later in the day. I was going from Ningyocho Station to the hotel and made myself stop and take a look. Ningyo-yaki is just like taiyaki except the cooking molds are in the shape of different characters.

Since Ningyocho is known for it's Seven Lucky Gods shrines it's not surprising that there is Seven Lucky Gods ningyo-yaki. So I had to pick some up from Itakuraya.

Benzaiten doesn't look too happy being crowded in there with all those other gods.

These were filled with sweetened adzuki bean paste and were pretty good. Fun way to enjoy local culture.

I will end this with these lovely hibiscus flower that bloom along the streets of Ningyocho. It's a nice place to visit.

No comments:

Post a Comment