Misadventures with Miso

Misadventures with Miso

Friday, June 2, 2017

It was the Magic Hour in Shibakoen

I was pretty tired but I still felt the desire to get out in hopes of finding something to offset the feeling of let down after two nights of exciting concerts. Also knew I wanted to try to get back to Zojo-ji Temple which I last saw in 2011. Sun was setting and things were looking a little dark and dull.

A white tulip tree seemed to glow a little.

Underneath were squirrels on pedestals. I don't know why.

The sculptor did catch that look squirrels give you when they see you, that friend or foe side-eye.

Like Daimon, Sangedatsumon was also disappointingly covered up. Guess it was time for repairs and refurbishment.

 Not daunted I went through and into Zojo-ji. I was in luck to see the Daiden Hondo, main hall, with Tokyo Tower now glowing beside it.

It was twilight, the magic hour.

The view at Ankokuden hall was also luminary. I could see why photographers and film makers love to shoot during this time period.

Walking over to the Shinto Kumano Shrine the wind blew a little and leaves rustled as if something was stirring.

The air had a feeling that something could happen. Like possibly seeing Yatagarasu the three legged crow.

Walking to the back of Zojo-ji Temple, Tokyo Tower was even more vivid against the darkening blue sky.

Glowing even above the Mausoleums of the Tokugawa Shoguns where the wooden sobota rattled although there was no wind. I would not have been surprised to see a figure in armor appear as the air darkened around me.

I decided to revisit Daitokuin Mon, the remaining gate of the mausoleum for Shogun Tokugawa Hidetada.

I noticed something special had happened. I could see Nio Ungyo, who represents latent strength, clearly.

The same for Nio Agyo, who represents overt strength.

It was as if the protective wire screen in front of them had almost vanished. It was magic.

But it was that Tower that captured my attention. Even next to what was the pathway up to the area where Hidetada's mausoleum once was.

 Walking up the sky darkened. But was still light enough to make out some of the Zojo-ji buildings.


Cresting the top of the hill by Prince Park Tower Hotel night had descended and the view was enchanting.

 I walked down to the small Benzaiten Shrine on the other side of Shiba-koen to find Tokyo Tower was captured in one of Benzaiten's ponds.

 I have a few posts about Zojo-ji, Shiba-koen and Daitokuin. Just click on the labels below if you want to see more photos and read a little more.

No comments:

Post a Comment