Mana's Beautiful World is Forever

Mana's Beautiful World is Forever

Thursday, August 22, 2019

Returning from Trip Number Ten

So time for that last blog post, of traveling from Japan to the US. Starting with Ikebukuro Station. 

I took the N'EX train again and they gave me the same seat that I had when I came to Tokyo. Interesting coincidence. 

Obligatory Sky Tree photo. 

Extra nice Sky Tree photo. 

I think this was the Arakawa River. I keep trying to get a photo of it, and finally one that isn't blurry. 

An amazing thing happened as we were rolling towards Narita Airport. 

The sky began to clear a bit. 

And became beautiful with white fluffy clouds and sun. 

Since I wanted to show what it's like on the way to Narita, I took a number of photos of the farms along the way. 


There is also a bit of woods and grassy areas. 



Out at Narita waiting for the plane on the left and feeling envious that I couldn't stay and enjoy the better weather. 

One bonus was being able to see below as we took off. Something I had not seen before as we left the gate was the ground crew waving and then bowing to us as we moved to the runway. 



And goodbye Japan. I hope I will be seeing you again soon. 

The eletronic window shades in the plane gave me a chance to take a few above the cloud photos with less glare. A bit of shine from the sun on the ocean below.

And just before descending through the clouds to land in Canada. 

Checking out a display of a spirit mask at Vancouver International Airport. 

It is a transformation mask by Kwakwaa'wakw artist Stan Wamiss, of the trickster hero Raven when the beak is closed and of Bakwas, a wild man of the forest, when the beak is open. These are spirits of the Pacific Northwest tribes.

 Not a lot of choices for food in the US part of the terminal. After having a long delay due to some odd new baggage screening process by US Customs, which was poorly handled, I finally was able to get something to eat. So it was back to Canucks and a Canadian brewed lager.

I chose fish tacos but forgot to ask if they used corn tortillas. I'm not terribly picky about my food but flour tortillas do not cut it with fish tacos. They fall apart and do not have that nice flavor that compliments the fish, crema, salsa and cabbage. I also prefer non-breaded fish but at this point, I was not going to complain. They were good, just miss having tortillas that don't fall apart from the moisture. I need to plan better if I fly through Vancouver again.

Finally back to Portland, Oregon. I'm sad I didn't get a better photo of the Lego Multnomah Falls. I was told it is going to be removed for a large statue of Sasquatch. It would be nice if they could find a good place for the Falls, it's a favorite of a lot of people who travel through the airport.

And over the Steel Bridge across the Willamette River. That's the Fremont Bridge in the distance. On the right is the TEMCO grain elevator and terminal. It was built in 1960 and still handles tons of grain, like corn, wheat and soybeans. 

And that is the end of my tenth trip to Japan.

No comments:

Post a Comment