Mana's Beautiful World is Forever

Mana's Beautiful World is Forever

Thursday, August 1, 2019

Hitsumabushi Bincho

While looking up the name of the unagi (freshwater eel) restaurant that I ate at in the Tobu department store, I came across another place right at Ikebukuro Station. Hitsumabushi Bincho in the PARCO department store. So of course I wanted to try it. With the eel frame window it was obvious I found the right place. It is also known as Hitsumabushi Nagoya Bincho, which I will explain.

Following my visit to Harajuku and Meiji Jingu, I decided unagi would be good to help revive me from all the walking in that hot weather. I was quickly seated and it did not take long for me to order. So I sat and checked out the modernistic decor. I don't know if there is an actual unagi kana font, but I've seen this style in other unagi restaurants. 

A little sake for dinner? It gives a nice feeling to the meal. I think I got the Yamazaru. I remember the taste of flowers.

Sansho anyone?

Dinner is served. The mystery of covered bowls.

Uncovered I find there is miso soup, unagi don, and toppings.

Hitsumabushi Bincho's unagi is served Nagoya style. The unagi is grilled over binchotan (charcoal) with a sauce that is a little sweeter than the usual unagi sauce.

Another really nice miso soup. So fresh!

Now this is where I sometimes feel a little uncomfortable. Because there is a certain expected way to eat this dish that I did not know about. So I had to figure it out, which is always a learning experience since it involved trying to understand a bit of Japanese or watching others.

Besides just eating the unagi with rice, Nagoya style involved different steps. One is to use the toppings of wasabi, green onion and cut nori. You put some rice and eel in a separate bowl with the toppings. Another way is to do this and then add hot green tea, ochazuke style. 

This was an interesting unexpected experience. I am glad I tried it. As for Hitsumabushi Bincho, they do have other menu items including chicken and izakaya style dishes. 

No comments:

Post a Comment