Mana's Beautiful World is Forever

Mana's Beautiful World is Forever

Thursday, July 19, 2018

Shinjuku Shrines

One day I headed to Shinjuku to do some shopping. I went a different way and came across a very large torii.

In between the large modern buildings of Shinjuku is Hanazono Jinzo, a Shinto Inari shrine.

Impressive komainu or karajishi, as a near by sign calls them, were cast in bronze in 1821.

They were donated to the shrine and in 1984 designated material cultural property by the city.

While the outer torii is concrete colored, there are also Inari red torii along with many lanterns along the walk to the shrine.

The space for the shrine is actually rather extensive for Shinjuku. Vermilion trimmed buildings along with lovely light pink sakura. The name of the shrine, Hanazono, means flower garden.

This shrine has been moved a few times over the years, as many shrines have been. The current site was granted in 1648. Of course the buildings have been rebuilt since then.

The kami enshrined here are Uga no Mitama no Kami, Yamato Takeru no Mikoto, and Ukemochi no Kami.


While the offices for the shrine look rather sedate, the Shaden captures everyone's attention.




Besides kami and sakura, it seems there are crows that one has to watch out for.

Of course there are smaller shrines in the complex. Itoku Inari Shrine, known for a couple of things including this row of torii.

Since it was raining I didn't get a good look around.

That is some security on the chouzubachi. Maybe because of the crows?

The Inari foxes, kitsune, were really adorable with their little kits.


I was trying to keep my camera from getting rained on. Which means I did not take many photos. So here is the shrine with more kitsune. While I noted what was above, I will pass on sharing that here in my blog.

Another large torii on a different walk way.

Along with two more guardian komainu.

I have to say I was a little surprised at how large this was given that it appears hidden among the department stores and office buildings in Shinjuku. In Tokyo, sometimes it's worth turning a corner. You never know what you might find.

No comments:

Post a Comment