Mana's Beautiful World is Forever

Mana's Beautiful World is Forever

Tuesday, April 10, 2018

Starting off with a Shrine

 My first full day in Tokyo was a rainy one. So I was already going to my museums and indoor places list. On my way to one of those, just across from the train exit was the Juban Inari Shrine.

 Rebuilt in 1997, this shrine is part of Minato's Seven Gods Walk.

 There are actually eight stops in that walk. One for each lucky god and this one for their treasure boat, Takarabune. On one side of the steps up to the shrine there is a statue of the seven gods in their treasure boat.



 The other side features a couple of frogs. I mentioned frog statues in posts of my prior trips. Fire was always a problem in Japan and the Gamaike Legend is that during one fire a giant frog appeared spouting water that put out the flames.

 Despite the rain I decided to ascend the steps to check the shrine out. The red lanterns looked very attractive against the gray concrete.



 At the top was a pair of impressive komainu.



 They were very detailed.


 Also impressive was the sakura tree that shaded the steps. Lucky me to see a few sakura blossoms open.

 The shrine houses the three kami Uka-no-mitama, Yamato Takeru, and Munakata-san-megami.

A view from the shrine down to the street. I imagine this place is really nice at night when the sakura is in full bloom. I did not stay very long because the rain made it difficult to take photos. But still, it was nice to visit.

No comments:

Post a Comment