Mana's Beautiful World is Forever

Mana's Beautiful World is Forever

Monday, April 9, 2018

Back to Japan

 Last year I did not know if I would ever be able to go back to Japan. But I was not going to just let that happen. So this year in March, I found myself on a half empty plane flying to Los Angeles International Airport. Where I would board my flight to Tokyo. Not only was this me being able to continue doing what I enjoy, but it was also ten years from my first trip to Japan. And my sixth visit there.

So I was up before dawn at Portland International Airport. Very early flight but it had one benefit. The back of the plane was empty so it was great to enjoy having a whole row of seats to take a nap on. And to be able to see the rising sun color the clouds outside the windows.

 Arriving at Los Angeles, I was hungry. As I walked the very long distance from my arrival gate to the international terminal, the smell of bacon was everywhere. I haven't eaten bacon in a very long time. But because I was hungry and tired, my willpower was weak. So I gave in to these breakfast tacos at Border Grill. Almost felt like a crime not to have tacos since I was back in L.A.

 I won't detail my flight because it's not the most fun. Fast forward to leaving Narita International Airport on an uncrowded train. Back on that Keisei Narita Express line. I don't remember if this was the front or back of the train.

Made it to my hotel in Minato-ku. After having to deal with a problem caused by my credit union, I got my room and headed out for food. Really hungry I found a seaweed daikon salad and this karaage bento. The bento was fine but it reminded me, why so much rice? Since I eat less salty food and less rice along with very little fried food or meat, this is one of the few konbini bento that I ate. As for why this salad, it is because salads in Japan tend to have a lot of cabbage and less lettuce and other greens. I rather enjoy the seaweed versions more. Plus they may be a little more healthy.

 Grey and rainy day but I wanted to get out and walk a little. Back to the canals that I last saw on my last day of my 2017 trip. It was nice to see them.

Even though the area is mostly commercial buildings and concrete apartments, it's still a relaxing view with the water and bridges.

And I was really happy to be back in Tokyo. A place where I feel centered.

No comments:

Post a Comment