Mana's Beautiful World is Forever

Mana's Beautiful World is Forever

Wednesday, October 5, 2016

Hiroshima Okonomiyaki at Santakumi

Yes "Wakako Zake" is why I went to Tau Hiroshima. Not just because of the episode set there but because of their okonomiyaki episode. I saw that while preparing for my trips and the wish for Hiroshima style okonomiyaki set in. Sadly I wasn't going to Hiroshima so I thought I was out of luck. But after viewing the Tau Hiroshima episode in the second season I discovered I didn't have to go to Hiroshima for okonomiyaki.

I could have it in Tokyo. In Ginza. At Santakumi.

Santakumi is on the second floor of TAU, where all the Hiroshima Carp goods are. I was really unsure of myself since I was dining alone. Along with not thinking about how I should remember how to write my name in katakana because it turned out they had a wait list. But no one waiting so I hung out by the front door and eventually was seated at the counter. Where I ordered that Hiroshima oyster okonomiyaki and a beer. Because it was pretty hot in there. And beer goes really well with okonomiyaki.

Part of the fun of a place like this is watching them go through all the steps in making okonomiyaki. Hiroshima style has even more. First the chef spooned some batter on the grill, smoothing it into a circle.

Then the toppings begin. Cabagge, crispy tempura bits, and a variety of dustings. I know there is katsuobushi and seaweed that is part of this.

Bean sprouts and shredded kombu were next. And more mysterious sprinkles. These are getting pretty tall.

Strips of pork on the others, seafood like oysters on mine. A little batter to hold the meat in place.

And the big thriller, can she flip all of that safely?

She did. Takes a lot of experience to do that without having everything go flying or end up a big mess.

Meanwhile wheat flour yakisoba noodles are cooking at the other end of the grill.

Another flip and the okonomiyaki is on top of the noodles.

But it doesn't end there. Because eggs are frying.

Now the okonomiyaki is put on top of that with the pancake side up and once the egg is fully cooked it's flipped one last time.

The top with the egg gets a nice coating of okonomiyaki sauce, a sprinkle of green nori seaweed and in my case some lovely tempura Hiroshima oysters.

They slide your order over to you where it sits on the grill being kept warm. There are little spatulas which you use to eat your okonomiyaki. Or you can use chopsticks. Nice noodles under there.

Along with the delicious oysters.

When in Rome...or at an okonomiyaki shop you can also put mayo on top.

This was really delicious and very filling. I felt bad because I could not finish it. But really glad I went to Santakumi. Because the food was really good and the service was too.

Santakumi's information is on the TAU website here and they have it in both English and Japanese. It's a small place so be prepared to write your name in Japanese on the wait list if they are busy. I do recommend Santakumi for their Hiroshima okonomiyaki. It was a really good experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment