Mana's Beautiful World is Forever

Mana's Beautiful World is Forever

Thursday, September 29, 2016

Return to Akihabara

Since I had to change trains at Akihabara Station I decided I might as well take a look outside since I hadn't been there since 2008.

Akihabara was at one time known as Electric Town due to all the sellers of electronics that were there. There are still some.

But as almost everyone knows that the main product that is sold in Akihabara now is anime, manga and games. And it's even more evident than it was in 2008.

It also seems that a lot of people were not out hiking mountains on Yama no Hi day. Instead many were here.

There were a lot more maids on the streets than before too.

There's a lot more advertising on buildings.

Not all of it is focused towards otaku. Yama no Susume or Encouragement of Climb is a nice enjoyable anime about mountain climbing geared more towards young women and girls. Also a good choice for Yama no Hi day.

Plenty of capsule machines still around. I even found a Puella Magi Madoka Magica one full of Soul Gems and Grief Seeds for 300 yen. Although I think it's a plot by Kyubey to gain more magical girls.

Gamers is still around with their Di Gi Charat sign. Rewrite is a current anime along with Love Live! Sunshine!!.

In fact, I saw more items and signs for Love Live! Sunshine!! than anything else. Still lots of crane machines in Akihabara but all had anime related prizes unlike back in 2008 where there were other cute non-anime plush in some of them. Anime is big business now.

Go!Go!Curry is still there. Every food place I saw was packed with people. Glad I ate at MOS Burger before this.

Something I hadn't experienced before, an Akihabara line. They do exist.

I didn't recognize the character on the sign so I'm not sure exactly what this is for. Usually they are for first releases of games or special limited character goods or other things like that. Whatever it was, it was popular because that was a very long line.

Something I did recognize. A sign for Thunderbolt Fantasy. It is a Japanese Taiwan joint anime project using puppets like Thunderbirds did decades ago. Except this is much more advanced visually and the puppets look amazing.

AKB48 Theater is still there.

More anime signs. Not just in Akihabara but in other places in Tokyo too. A lot of money being spent on advertising. Top sign is for the Selector Wixoss anime series. It's a trading card magical girl kind of show. ReLife is an anime about being in an experiment for a drug that makes you 10 years younger. The catch is participants have to go back to high school. Because if it's anime, odds are it's about middle school or high school students.

Totally not anime. I could not resist taking a photo of this cute Abyssinian kitten on this big screen.

I also caught a Pikachu while there. Pretty good considering I don't play Pokemon Go or have a smart phone.

While not as big as the one at Odaiba, there is a Gundam in Akihabara at the Gundam Cafe.

Along with Gundamyaki.

And more AKB48.

I'm guessing this advert has the girls wearing masks because who they are will be revealed at the show. Although it does look a little creepy like a Friday the 13th theme AKB48 show.

Also a little creepy is this transformer Toy Story model. I'm not sure if little kids would be excited or cry because their favorite characters came apart and then morphed together.

While I may have made a little fun of Akihabara I do admit to trying the Puella Magi Madoka Magica capsule machine. I think I got Mami Tomoe Soul Gem and Demon Grief Seeds.

Along with Homura Akemi's soul gem which I am keeping. The others I will probably sell.

So that was it for Akihabara. All those stores and I bought next to nothing and didn't go in any stores. I think it was the combination of heat, being tired and how crowded it was. It was interesting to see how it changed.

No comments:

Post a Comment