Misadventures with Miso

Misadventures with Miso

Thursday, December 10, 2015

Omiyage in Portland

I realize in Portland Oregon it's really hard to find the right present. There are so many places with so many cool things. A lot of "Made in Oregon" and "Made in Portland". People who are very crafty and creative offering great items.

I have found a really neat place to buy Japan related items. It's only there for a short while.

It's called Omiyage which is the Japanese word for a gift one shares with others.

Located at 341 NW 5th Avenue in Portland it is a pop-up shop run by the Oregon Nikkei Endowment. Where they offer for sale vintage Japanese items along with current Japanese art work and crafts from people in the Portland area.

They even have a few treats from Uwajimaya available.

I really enjoyed my visit here and need to go back again before their last day on December 24th.

I picked up a few lovely glass chopstick rests created by Kurumi Conley to go with her glass bowls that I have. I see a trend starting with me.

Along with this haori made with vintage silk from Kyoto. I've always wanted something like this. I wish the photo was better but heck, we have a little rain here in Oregon. I am looking forward to wearing this.

So if you are looking for something interesting for yourself or your local Japanophile, get thee to Omiyage at 341 NW 5th Avenue, Portland. They are open Wednesday-Friday, 11am-6pm; Saturday-Sunday, Noon-5pm through December 24th and then no more.

There are other Portland Pop-Up shops happening for the holidays which are worth checking out for yourself or that special present. Here the link for more information PDX Pop-up Shops.

No comments:

Post a Comment