Misadventures with Miso

Misadventures with Miso

Thursday, October 8, 2015

Moonstruck Chocolate Does Beer

When Moonstruck Chocolate announced they were going to do beer truffles and not just any beer but local Oregon craft beer I knew I wanted to try them. Then I had this idea. Why not try each one with it's respective beer?

So after getting one of each of the four chocolates I set off trying to find a bottle of each beer. Easier said than done. Two were very easy since they are extremely popular. However the Full Sail Session IPA was not happening. Four stores with not a bottle to be seen. I ended up tasting the chocolate without the beer. I can say that it's definitely has India Pale Ale flavor. If that is your thing and you like sweet chocolate with it, this may be a truffle for you. I don't think I would have liked this even with the beer however. The cap is white chocolate and the sweet with the IPA flavor did not mesh for me. Luckily this was the last not the first truffle I tried so on to the other three.

How I did the tasting was to eat a bit of the truffle without anything else. Since they are slightly larger than other Moonstruck Chocolates this wasn't a problem. I made notes and then later enjoyed the rest of each one with the beer. The truffles are made with beer from each line along with other flavors to bring out the essence of each one. I tried each one on separate days so I was not influenced by the flavor of the others. So how did the other three work out?

The easiest to find was Widmer Brother's Brewing Hefeweizen. I don't know if it's the most popular beer in Oregon but you can find it almost everywhere beer is sold and served. I've had a few myself over time so I'm familiar with the taste. The truffle not only has their logo nicely done but does well in representing the flavor of their Hefeweizen. I could taste wheat and hops, almost a grassy taste but it was good. There is a lot of lemon going on which on afterthought reminded me even more of their Shandy Hefeweizen. I'd say this truffle was the second best in catching the flavor of the beer and making the chocolate taste good.

The second one I tried was the Rogue Ales Hazelnut Brown Nectar truffle. I've also tried this beer before. I had hopes for this because hazelnut and chocolate is a delicious combination. With this one I could taste hazelnut liqueur and malt along with a slight coffee flavor. I tried it with the beer and I have to say the flavor of the truffle was much more hazelnut than the beer. I really liked the chocolate even though it had more flavor than the beer.

The one I was most looking forward to trying was the Deschutes Brewery Black Butte Porter truffle. I had not tried this porter before but I do like a good porter and I figured they would translate that well with a bitter chocolate. I had trouble trying to find a bottle and ended up getting the smaller six pack size. I was told at one store that I probably would not find a bomber.

Well I might not have found Full Sails Session IPA but I did later find bomber bottles of Deschutes Black Butte Porter. Which meant I needed another chocolate to celebrate. Because this one was my favorite of the truffles and I felt best captured the flavor of the beer. The chocolate had a little flavor of coffee along with being creamy and sweet and not very bitter. There definitely was a bit of the stout taste during and afterwards. I had not had Black Butte Porter before but I'm definitely sold on it which also has that nice creamy flavor and not overwhelming bitterness. Both very balanced.

So these chocolates are available in the Moonstruck Chocolate Cafes and I'm sure they will get more for sale on their website which is here. Says something about how popular these are. I usually get mine at the Beaverton Town Square because they also have goods from Farina Bakery which are also excellent.

This was fun and I should do a photo post on Moonstruck Chocolate's Autumn and Halloween offerings some time. I did one previously which is here but I know I have tried chocolates than just the ones in that post.

Also wanted to note that I'm still around but not posting as much right now due to not feeling well and taking care of my cat Kenji. Over a month ago he developed ketoacidosis and almost died. Turned out he has diabetes even though he has never been overweight. He is doing well on insulin and I hope continues to do so.

No comments:

Post a Comment