Misadventures with Miso

Misadventures with Miso

Thursday, September 3, 2015

And Now For a Cat Post

Interrupting my usual stream of posts for one about this guy. This is Kenji, the surviving Blue Cat Brother. Over the weekend he became very ill so it was a trip to a new vet on Saturday that was open. Blood tests showed he has diabetes and because of that ketoacidosis which meant his liver was over compensating for the lack of insulin in his body.

They weren't sure he would pull through because he was dehydrated from throwing up before I brought him in. I had to take him to an emergency vet to stay overnight while on an iv. Next day I had to take him back to the first vet where he spent the day. He was doing a little better but still not great. I decided instead of having him stay overnight in a stressful environment that he would be better off at home. The top photo is after I brought him home. The second photo is from the next day. Already I could see he was feeling a little better.

Yesterday and he was doing even better. Still not 100% but better.

Even getting around a bit. He was happy when I took the bandage off his leg. Happy to get his special canned diabetes food. Not happy about getting insulin shots twice a day but it's better than him being that sick.

So hoping he continues to improve. It's affected my life in that now I have to give him two shots a day at specific times along with food so no traveling. Got to stick to the kitty schedule. I need to keep an eye on him in case he becomes hypoglycemic, which means his blood sugar drops way down. This is actually worse than high blood sugar for a cat. Also the medicine is not cheap but I may have already found a local place where it is less money. But if it means Kenji gets to feel better and stay here a little longer, I will do what I can.

5 comments:

  1. Odaijini, Kenji-chan. Ki o tsukete. Get well soon. Take care. I've never met you, but I've been reading stories about you for a while. I'd like to read a few more. Hang in there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, he's hanging in there. Have a safe fun trip, bring back lots of tales to tell us. Hope you can tweet or drop a photo on G+ now and again!

      Delete
  2. Oh I am sorry to hear that he got sick, but happy to see that he is doing better. Hope he will feel even better once he gets used to the medication regimen.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I'm working on it. He is doing better but still have a ways to go. At least no cone of shame that Kero and Tashi had to put up with.

      Delete
  3. Yeah I think Kero still hasn't forbidden me for that!

    ReplyDelete