Misadventures with Miso

Misadventures with Miso

Tuesday, August 11, 2015

The Late Brannon's Pub and Brewery

Usually I try to go to a place at least two times if I want to write a blog post about it. I was going to do that for Brannon's Pub and Brewery. But because it closed all of the sudden at the beginning of the month, my post is going to be brief.

There is this really large building on the very busy Cedar Hills Boulevard that was empty for a few years. A lot of people were happy that a new restaurant was going in there. Even better is they would also brew their own beer. The interior was interesting with an open kitchen and windows open to the brewing room on one side.

I wonder though if the interior is one of the reasons the place didn't take off. The overhead metal gears were interesting but seemed to feel heavy. Along with this wall between the bar in the middle of the room and the diners. Lined with televisions it made the space feel a bit claustrophobic plus I read a number of people complained of the noise level. Perhaps the place would have looked better and the noise level would be less without the wall of televisions. With the wall gone the room would have felt more open and given sound waves further to travel instead of bouncing off of the smaller areas which makes more noise in the space.

Back to my one visit during happy hour. I decided to try one of their beers so I went with the Orange Boom!

I can't really say much about the beer head brewer Devin Benware was creating since I only tried one. Orange Boom! had a mellow taste with the orange flavor in decent proportion.

For me what stood out was this, the Napoli Margarita thin crust pizza. Made with tomato sauce, fresh mozzarella, grated Parmesan and fresh basil on a crust that was crisp and had nice texture. This is the first thin crust pizza I liked. Most taste like cardboard but it's possible that since making their dough every day from Bob's Red Mill Flour along with a good chef made the difference. The sauce was well balanced and flavorful. I enjoyed this pizza and was hoping to try a few other dishes. I had heard good things about the food there so hopefully their head chef Sean Beanblossom will be cooking somewhere else around town. I'd like to try other dishes he makes.

There is no word as to what is going to happen at this location. Since there is not just restaurant equipment in there but also brewing vats and more, it may be another long period of nothing. So here's to the first thin crust pizza I liked and to someone trying to create an interesting restaurant and brew pub in Beaverton, Oregon.

No comments:

Post a Comment