Misadventures with Miso

Misadventures with Miso

Monday, August 24, 2015

Changes in the Garden

Since the Portland Japanese Garden announced their major changes to the site, during my last visit I looked for any signs of that change. You can read about their plans here in Portland Monthly. I noticed a little work happening around these trees next to the drive up to the garden. I don't know if that was part of the change but they are going to move the entrance gate down the hill to where the parking area is.

Up at the area before the entrance gate there is definitely work already happening. This area is where the new Cultural Village will be. I look forward to the cafe since there is no place to get drinks or food when you visit. I think this will help visitors a lot.

The sheds next to where the grading is happening already. Pretty sure these will also be moved. The garage type building is very cool traditional Japanese architecture so I hope they will be saving it in some form.

Another view of the driveway up to the garden where fencing is also installed on the other side. This is all going to change.

Inside the garden they are always doing work on various features. In Japan it's common to replace wood fencing, gates and more over time. In the garden this gate was recently replaced.



Another gate that was recently replaced. I love the bird and flower motif on this one.

 This is one of the walls surrounding the Sand and Stone Garden. It's been cracked for a while and I wondered if they would ever be able to fix this since it looks like there is slippage happening with the land the garden is on.

It looks like they are working on it. With the garden being closed for a time it will be a good time to shore this part up or however they can repair it.

It will be interesting to see the changes that happen. I hope they go well.

If you missed it, I posted a few other interesting photos from this visit to the Japanese Garden yesterday. You can see them here.

No comments:

Post a Comment