Misadventures with Miso

Misadventures with Miso

Thursday, July 23, 2015

Wish I Could Go Back To Samurai Food Cart

My one real regret since moving to Oregon is I only went to Samurai food cart once. Sadly they closed not long after that so I didn't get a chance to try more of their food.

Samurai was a stand-out and a favorite of the customers, like Hayao Miyazaki. I did get to see his Totoro drawing that he gave to the cart's owners to show his appreciation of their pork yakisoba.

My choice was the agedashi tofu. Not only did it hold up through the Max ride home but everything was still warm. Really delicious and if I worked in Downtown Portland I would have eaten there all the time. I could taste that the broth was not one purchased from a store and the tofu batter was thin and cooked just right.

But sadly Samurai food cart closed and the owner Yohhei Sato is now enjoying sharpening knives and tools around Portland with his mobile Sato Sharpening. His Facebook page is here, website here,  but I would suggest checking his Twitter where he posts where he is and also future locations for sharpening. And if he ever gets tired of the sharpening business I know there are people besides me that would be happy to eat his cooking again.

If anyone has any suggestions of Japanese food carts in the Northwest, I'd love to hear from you. Please comment or message me here. Thanks!

No comments:

Post a Comment