Misadventures with Miso

Misadventures with Miso

Wednesday, July 15, 2015

La Dijonaise in Culver City

If you are ever in the Los Angeles area and looking for an interesting low key place to wander around, you might want to check out Culver City. One interesting part is the Helms Bakery District.

Official bakery for the 1932 Olympics, Helms Bakery operated from 1931 to 1969. The bread was never sold in stores but from delivery trucks that would drive through neighborhoods.

The area around the Helms Bakery building is pretty nice and inside are shops, restaurants and a Helms Bakery museum since the complex is a historical destination.

There are also nice places to sit outside like by this interesting fountain.

I was there in 2010 so there was work still being done on the building.

However there were still places to check out like La Dijonaise restaurant. Walking in I noticed these unusual lights.

  Which appeared to look like their Soupe à L’oignon that my dining companion ordered and enjoyed.


 His other choice for the meal was their Coq au Vin with mushroom and pearl onions. He also really liked this dish.

I went with their Crepe Florentine of spinach, Swiss cheese and béchamel sauce served with salad. I know I enjoyed their food too.

 Being in a French restaurant meant for one time we ordered dessert. It's been a few years so I don't remember what exactly these are but my guess for the front place would be a Chocolate tart.

 While the other plate was most likely chocolate mousse.

Near the front door was shelves of desserts and baked goods including macarons.

Which of course I could not resist bringing a few home with me.

Trying to remember now is difficult but pretty sure this was chocolate.

The pink one most likely strawberry.

And the last one might have been vanilla. I do remember they were a treat especially since it was not easy to find maracons in the area at that time.

One last photo of the Helms Bakery sign lit up.

La Dijonaise is still open and while I don't know if their food is exactly the same as it was five years ago, I would eat there again and so would my dining companion. It is located at 8703 W Washington Blvd, Culver City, CA 90232 and their website is here.

No comments:

Post a Comment