Misadventures with Miso

Misadventures with Miso

Thursday, June 11, 2015

The Tamale House in Beaverton, Oregon

 I am going to start this post by stating this is not The Tamale House in Tigard, which has been around since 2008 and has a decent reputation. I have not been there yet but plan to check it out. This post is about the newer Beaverton location which opened 2014.

 When I heard they were opening a second location that was less of a drive I was looking forward to trying out some of their food. I thought it would be a good fit in the Beaverton Town Square. I did think the prices compared to other similar places around town were a little high but thought since they are suppose to be good maybe it's worth it.

 I stopped by in April and of course I bought a couple tamales. I ordered their chicken and their cheese and jalapeño to go. There was a little wait even with no one else in there but I figured it's tamales and they need to be steamed properly.

 Just to show what is inside each one. The chicken one was pretty good. The cheese tamale had huge jalapeño peppers which were bigger than I was use to. I've eaten my share of tamales and usually the home made ones I've had the peppers are sliced to make them easier to eat and allow for more cheese. But I know people do things differently so there may be some that use whole peppers like this.

What really put me off was the fact that the cheese was not melted at all but was a long rectangular lump. It's possible it doesn't happen all the time but considering how long I waited this should not have been like this. That and just the grumpy feeling I got from the guy who was running the place and took my order made me not want to try anything else at this location.

No comments:

Post a Comment