Misadventures with Miso

Misadventures with Miso

Thursday, April 16, 2015

Things Get Sweet with Decadent Creations

I am not a morning person. Less so as time has it's effect on me. But once in a while there is something worth getting up for.

Local favorite bakery creations is one of them. Decadent Creations was going from weekend seller at Beaverton Farmers Market to having a micro-shop. Which is why there was this long line in Hillsboro, Oregon the other day. The woman in red way down there?

That's Mindy Simmons, baker and owner of Decadent Creations, who had just happily ran down the line giving high fives to everyone.

Because Mindy Simmons isn't just a great baker but a very creative one. Like making this giant sugar cookie ribbon to be cut for the store opening.

You might be asking what's a micro-shop? I'd say it's the next step up from a pop-up. In Decadent Creations case it's actually pretty clever because they opened inside Fancy That, a party supply store in Hillsboro. So now people can do one stop shopping for their parties. I agree that's pretty awesome.

After waiting in line outside I finally made it into the store. I was customer 50 so I was given the last gift bag. I didn't think I would get one so that was nice. Says something when this many people show up at 10:30 am for a small store opening.

The inside of Fancy That is pretty colorful. Not just party supplies but also gifts and more. I spied a number of boxes of Smith Tea. I should go back and get a box of Julie's Original Cake Mix right?

Getting closer to Decadent Creations. They are located in the back of the store where there is also an entrance from the parking lot. Really cute furnishings and fridge that match the color scheme of the store.

Mindy and her husband. Both were beaming as they helped all the customers. Business has picked up since Mindy's appearance and win on the show Chopped. Decadent Creations has been popular with locals for a while but now demand has helped them reach this goal of a shop open most days. They also do special orders and sell cookies, bars and breads online.

Getting closer and finally being able to see what's in the case. The goods are baked at Mindy's professional kitchen and brought in daily.

Besides all the lovely cakes there were mini cupcakes and tarts. But the real temptation for me were those rainbow rows of macarons.

To the side was a clever set-up of cookie jars where customers can serve themselves along with breads. Payment was at the Fancy That registers which helped speed things up.

I chose a piece of Salty Dog Cake which has toffee chunks and salted ganache drizzle. It's nice to find cakes that are a step above the usual. The flavors of this were great and I definitely want to try a Salty Dog Brownie next. That and more chocolate chip cookies because the one in the gift bag reminded me of home made way more than most and was great.

As for those macarons, yes I got one of each. What can I say, I like macarons a lot. The flavor range was good from usual ones like pistachio and peppermint to honey, carrot cake and lemon lavender. I'm still eating my way through them but so far my favorites have been hazelnut, lemon lavender and salted caramel which was the best salted caramel macaron I have eaten. The balance of salt to sweet was perfect and the caramel flavor did not overwhelm but was just right. The cookies were crisp and light on the outside and the centers chewy and creamy. Just like a macaron should be.

It's great there is another choice for a bakery in the area and it's nice to see good people doing well and their business growing. I definitely plan on stopping in again especially since it means I don't have to get up early to go to the farmers market.

Decadent Creations is located inside Fancy That at 1336 NE Orenco Station Pkwy, Hillsboro, OR 97124. There isn't a big sign outside for Decadent Creations so look for Fancy That. Fancy That's website with directions and hours is here which is the same for the micro-store Decadent Creations.

Decadent Creations website is here. Hours and location and dates at the Beaverton Farmers Market are also listed plus you can order items online or set up getting special orders.

2 comments:

  1. That sign "all butter" is enough for me. You know about Japan's butter shortage? :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yup. Funny how it didn't happen till Abe was in office. I try to cut back on butter myself but pastry is always better when made with butter.

      Delete