Misadventures with Miso

Misadventures with Miso

Tuesday, December 2, 2014

Yuzu Ramen aka Umami Heaven

Did I ever mention I have a thing for ramen? Not sure? Well check my links. While I don't overdo the rameness, I do get a hankering for a bowl now and again. I've been lucky to have sampled a few really great bowls of noodle soup in Southern California and from visiting ramen masters from Japan. However moving to Oregon I didn't see much listed in the way of ramen. So I set out to try a few in the last couple of years. Thankfully one place is not far from me. When I first went there it was in January of 2013 and had the air of a Japanese izakaya.

An izakaya is a Japanese restaurant which is basically a bar with different types of food for people to share while drinking. Often salty to keep up the thirst of the customers. One is often given free salted edamame as a starter. True to being an izakaya, Yuzu served up edamame with my draft Asahi beer.

As much as I wanted to try all the other items Yuzu offered, I was there for their ramen. A little toasted sesame seed and garlic was offered to add if I wanted it.

To add to my kakuni ramen. Thin egg noodles in a tonkotsu broth and I knew I did not need to look any further for ramen. Although I have tried a few in Oregon I knew I would be back to Yuzu. Besides they have so many other things to try.

 However at that time it wasn't easy getting a seat. Open in the evenings with not a lot of tables for this really popular restaurant one needed to make a reservation or risk getting told sorry no room. So later that year with a visitor experienced with ramen I did just that.

Once again it was the kakune. It's just that good.

 So the other day I was wishing I could have a bowl of Yuzu's ramen. I had to stop at a place right by there and noticed their open sign was lit. In the middle of the afternoon on a Saturday. I thought "maybe they left the sign lit by accident?"

 But it wasn't an accident. Yuzu has changed just a bit. New menus, new hours including being open for lunch and gone are the wooden menu boards on the wall. Replaced with posters and signs advertising Mio's Desserts. With Stump Town Ice Brewed Coffee it seems a little Portland has seeped into this wonderful low key izakaya in Beaverton.

 Back at the counter however I had to give in to my craving.

 For their kakuni ramen. Which was still umami heaven. Rarely have I had a dish that made me forget everything and just enjoy the sensations of eating.

 However now with the new hours I think there will be less of a problem of being able to try some of the other dishes on the menu. I see a bowl of miso ramen in my near future at least.

Yuzu is at 4130 SW 117th Ave, Beaverton, OR 97005 and is now open for a couple hours at lunch on weekdays, Saturday afternoons and weekday evenings. I write all this because they do not post their hours on their door nor do they have a sign on the street. I would suggest still making a reservation in the evening just in case.

In case I didn't mention it. I love Yuzu. I think it points out the fact that focusing on the food rather than hype will pay off. Although I am glad they updated a little bit and very glad they are open for lunch now. The one improvement they could do is open another location so that this one is a little less packed and I can get a seat whenever I crave their ramen.

No comments:

Post a Comment