Misadventures with Miso

Misadventures with Miso

Friday, January 3, 2014

A Menacing Mansion?

Portland and the surrounding areas have really nice parks. I've tried to check out a few of them. In October I went to see Laurelhurst Park. But I was distracted by all these trucks parked around it.


Strangely there were these tall lights that once again I accidentally came across. So I walked to the street and around the corner and saw this. 

An amazing mansion so large it dwarfed the Grimm crew that was filming there. I said to a crew member that it must look really nice inside. He said it did but since it had been empty for a number of years there was dust and mold. My curiosity about the building was piqued. What was this place and why wasn't it being used for something if not lived in?

Since there were a lot of people around that day I did not want to take many photos. I went back in December to get a better look at what is the Bitar Mansion.

The gate around the entrance is impressive. The bronzed gate has decorative peacocks which are used as a motif in the house.

The house was built in 1927 and is also known as the Harry A. and Ada Green house. The architect was Herman Brookman who designed other well known buildings in the area. It has 17 rooms including a ball room and is 12,000 square feet.

The house was then bought in 1951 by Robert and Mable Bitar. In 2006 it was purchased by a new family but there were issues and the family abandoned the house in 2010 and it sold the next year. That bit of history is rather interesting but I will leave it to the readers to look it up if they want.

Tonight we get a peak inside during the "Red Menace" Grimm episode. I'm looking forward to it.

I hope you enjoyed this post. Please leave a comment especially if you are a Grimm fan. I know the posts are being checked out but since there aren't many comments I may not do many more posts related to Grimm. I would appreciate hearing from you the reader!


6 comments:

  1. Haikyo! Do you know these sites?

    http://www.haikyo.org/
    http://gakuran.com/category/haikyo-ruins/
    http://www.michaeljohngrist.com/ruins-gallery/

    I'm spamming you with links but it's all about Japan. :)

    PS: I love reading Portland stories, including Grimm-related stories, even if I haven't watched the full series.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    2. Been following a few of those blogs for some time now. The Bitar Mansion isn't actually a haikyo since it was vacant only for a couple years and I think has a caretaker now. The Grimm crew member was wrong about how long it was vacant. Although the second to last owners did not leave it in very good shape. Seems there were problems surrounding their living there.

      Oregon does have a lot of "haikyo" all over the state from times when there were more farmers and logging. One of the newer places that is popular for people to sneak into is the Living Enrichment Center in Wilsonville. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Living_Enrichment_Center

      I shouldn't try writing when it's late. I make stupid typos and then have to delete my comments.

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The entire place was out of a fairy tale... I was really disappointed to see it so "small" in the Grimm episode. I grew up in Laurelhurst and have loved this home since I was 12, the Bitars were magnanimous and their home was lavish... while the outside depicted this grandeur the inside featured in the episode was sorely lacking and diminished the beauty of this house... In my humble opinion :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is great that you have wonderful memories of this place and the Bitars!

      The Grimm crew may have been limited where they could film in the house. The owners after the Bitars were not so kind to the property according to a couple news articles. It does look like repair work is being done so maybe in the future we will see more of what you remember.

      http://www.wweek.com/portland/article-17757-bad_neighbor.html
      One of the news stories.

      Delete