Monday, December 9, 2013

Mt. Hood before the freeze


I'm trying to figure out what to do with photos for blogging. Flickr definitely has nice quality with the photos I put on-line but the fact they keep changing things with no regard to what users want is exhausting. People shouldn't have to worry about what a website is going to do.

So this is a bit of a test. I would appreciate comments as to which of these two photos you see as better quality. They are both the same just hosted two different ways through Google. I do see a difference with my monitor but I'd like to know if others see it too.


As for the photo, I was up at OHSU, the medical complex up on Marquam Hill the other day. There is a tram that one can take down to the Willamette River. It was my first time there so I wanted to take a look from the tram station. The view is amazing. I could see both Mt. Hood and Mt. St. Helens. So here is Mt. Hood as the sun was setting. The brown haze is due to people burning leaves and other debris.

Please leave a comment as to if you see any differences in the photos and what that might be. Thank you very much for participating!

4 comments:

  1. The top photo seems to be marginally clearer than the bottom one. Greater contrast between light and shadow?

    The top photo also looks sharper on my smartphone, but the difference is small (to my middle-aged eyes). ^^

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I felt the same thing. The first I downloaded into Picasa and the second one through Blogger. Same photo. Strange because they are both Google but maybe Blogger saves at less resolution. I will have to try it again with a different photo to see which I prefer. Still not as nice as Flickr but at least Google isn't going to mess with their photo sites much. I hope.

      Delete
  2. I cannot see any difference. I blinked between the two versions and they look the same on my monitor (both in term of contrast and sharpening). Are you thinking that the compression algorithms could be different?

    Nice photo, btw. What a view! The Lonely Mountain in the Hobbit is nothing in comparison: look out for dragons! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Top one I saved on Picasa. Second one through Blogger. To me the top one has more contrast than the bottom one. It's odd but maybe they save at different resolutions? Both are Google which makes it odd.

      Thank you for the compliment. It's an amazing view. I highly recommend this for anyone who visits Portland.

      Delete