Misadventures with Miso

Misadventures with Miso

Sunday, September 8, 2013

It's a slug fest out there

When I stopped by Tualatin Hills Nature Park the other day to get a new map, Supervisor Michael was showing a few of the Bug Fest participants.

stick insect Tualatin Hills Nature Park 1

Like this stick insect.

millipede Tualatin Hills Nature Park

But the bugs aren't just in the Interpretive Center. They are easy to find outside. Like millipedes on the trails.

dragonflies Tualatin Hills Nature Park 1

You can find really large dragonflies at the Big Pond.

dragonflies Tualatin Hills Nature Park 2

banana slug Tualatin Hills Nature Park

But the other day there were more slugs than anything. Big slugs like this banana slug.

slug Tualatin Hills Nature Park

Plain brown ones.

spotted banana slug Tualatin Hills Nature Park

Along with the colorful spotted banana slugs. How big was this one?

Spotted Banana Slug Tualatin Hills Nature Park 9-7-13

Longer than my cell phone. So it pays to watch where you are stepping when walking because I would not want one of these on my shoes.

6 comments:

  1. Just as I was going "ewww!" at the size of that banana slug, I spotted ... a Hello Kitty phone strap! :D So instead of getting the heebie-jeebies, I was smiling.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Funny thing is that is a non-Japan gift from San Francisco airport.

      At least slugs do not move fast or even at a moderate speed. So they look slimy but not really scary in real life. Not like the snakes.

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Yeah these ones were getting pretty big. I think the last one was the biggest one I have seen.

      Delete
  3. I love looking at slugs.

    But not touching them. :P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They definitely are interesting looking when they get so large. I hope I never step on one because that would be worse than touching them. Ick!

      Delete